• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pole barn vs stick built

Mine is 40 x132. 6’ poured walls. 2’ out of the ground. Walls are ladder style. 6” thick insulation. I had one poured slab with a bound beam 2’ deep around the outside of it both keep the wood of the ground

It's all about the foundation to me because that's where you save on time and cost. A pole barn only requires digging post holes where a stick frame requires a foundation so it all depends on the intended use.

When I built my shop, I got quotes between $10 and $13 per sq/ft on the foundation. I am a great Carpenter/Framer but have very little experience with forms and concrete work.
My shop is 1608 sq/ft. I did go with the lowest bidder but he did excellent work. California buildings have to comply with earthquake standards so deeper footings are common along with shear walls, closer spacing on anchor bolts, etc. Writing a $16,000 check stung a bit.
I got almost all of the lumber FREE from the job. All of the windows were new "take-outs" from model homes....a situation where the builder made revisions and chose different windows after the houses were almost finished. I had to pay for roof trusses, ($3500) roof sheeting plywood, paper and shingles & a guy to shingle it, Three garage doors and two prehung 32" doors.
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1160.JPG

I had the guys put these huge footings in where I planned to install the 2 post lift: 24x24'18 inches deep.
IMG_1162.JPG

Ha ha...
I did have the trusses built to have a 5x8 pocket in the center for attic storage.

I have a hankering for something like this measuring 50' wide X 46' deep with 12' ceilings on the ends & the center door large enough to fit a motorhome.

brv_12.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back