• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Popping around head area on my 440, only really at idle... ???

jenkins71

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So my 440 runs pretty good, 2000 miles on the build. It is fairly low compression, around 8.9. Comp XE 274 cam I believe.
At idle, the is a sort of rhythmic splat, or pop, kinda loud around the head area on the passenger side. And sometimes on the driver's side as well. My motor like a lot of initial timing, around 28*. Mech advance is limited to 10*, 38* total. I can advance it pretty high, and it runs even better at idle... like, i can advance it to 40* and it runs even better (of course I wouldn't keep it at that setting).
Now, when i advance it to 40*, the random at-idle POP, which you can hear from the passenger compartment btw, goes away. It also kind goes away as you drive it faster.

Any idea's what is wrong? Hoping for a leaking header gasket...

Suggest starting with a compression check. Could be valve overlap, or a cam timing issue.

I should add that it is something that has only recently come up...

Take a 3' piece of heater hose and put one end to your ear and use the other end to try and isolate where the noise is coming from. I was thinking header leak also.

Had the same thing happen on a 383 years ago but it had nothing to do with compression. It was a hair over 10 actually but I would check what your cranking PSI is. If it's pretty low, it's probably why it likes a lot of timing. Low compression engines usually do respond well to a lot of initial and total. So long as it doesn't experience pinging, give it what it likes. Anyways, mine was leaking header gaskets.

header leak or really low compression for that cam.

Nothing built with a 'matched' combo should need more than 28 degrees initial imo.

Ok so the header bolts were "finger loose"... tightened them and the noise went down a little i think. But the gaskets must be blown if they were that loose.
I have some Remflex (basically gaskets made of a big piece of graphite) gaskets. I guess that is the next thing to try.
Are regular old header bolts okay to use?

Remflex is great. I'd want some stage 8 locking bolts myself. At least use some blue loctite and don't overtighten.

Great news dudes. Put the reflex gaskets on, as it is like night and day. PHEW! The noise had gotten so bad, I was starting to think I had a bent pushed or something! The old gaskets were visibly blown out pretty badly.
Thanks for any input.

unplug each wire one at a time...... if it is a header leak you will find it

Auto Transport Service
Back