• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POR 15 Topcoat - ?

Bought a pint of this stuff to paint a few brackets, braces, etc since it’s rare to get a day warm enough to rattle can them right now and I’m trying to not do too much painting in the garage. I’ve used a little POR 15 over the years and while not a lot, it usually flowed out smooth, glossy and hard and did the job OK. This crap is about as thick as latex paint, doesn’t brush well at all and doesn’t flow out smooth at all. I think it’s a different formulation. Need to avoid this stuff.
POR-15 sucks.

Used it loads in the beginning of the MN Gold project......regretted it and removed it

Bought a pint of this stuff to paint a few brackets, braces, etc since it’s rare to get a day warm enough to rattle can them right now and I’m trying to not do too much painting in the garage. I’ve used a little POR 15 over the years and while not a lot, it usually flowed out smooth, glossy and hard and did the job OK. This crap is about as thick as latex paint, doesn’t brush well at all and doesn’t flow out smooth at all. I think it’s a different formulation. Need to avoid this stuff.
Stay away from it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POR-15 sucks.

Used it loads in the beginning of the MN Gold project......regretted it and removed it

If it is used per the instructions, with their compatible products, 80 grit paper will not cut it. It's been 4 or 5 years since I got this deep into a project and, I have never had it lift or come off in sheets. I get rid of as much rust as humanly possible. I'm saying that I don't use different products in different places, and there are a lot of good ones out there. This product stops rust by not letting air or water get to the metal so if you don't completely seal the parts then it's not on the product. It's been used in many of my projects and rust hasn't returned in any of them. Sorry guys, I will continue to use it until it lets me down.

I don’t have a problem with the regular POR 15 product that I’ve used a few times in the past and again the purpose of my post was not to slam it. I Wish I had spent my $25 on it rather than this Topcoat crap.

How about the high temp POR 15, anybody use it on your exhaust manifolds ? If so, how did it perform? I am working on a set of manifolds now and have some on hand but, I don't want to put it on them if it is going to cause problems. Thanks!

I’ve heard the POR 15 manifold dressing is very good - but I haven’t personally used it.

I just painted some manifolds with Eastwood’s high- temp manifold paint and they look real nice. Haven’t restarted the motor to bake them in yet though

I use their cast manifold coating on all my manifolds. I have not had a problem. The manifolds will smoke a good bit when the engine is initially run, say for about 10 minutes. The first car I used this on was my Superbird. My manifolds on it look as good as when they were done. That's going on 20 years now.

I second the Eastwood manifold paint...good stuff and last for years! Best is to put it on fresh blasted manifolds, but I did a quick wire whee cleaning of the HP manifolds I put on the 440 in my wagon and brushed on the eastwood paint. Been on there 7-8 years and the rust is starting to come through and they need to be redone, but they looked great for at least 4-5 years even though I didn't prep them well.

I will never use any POR type or any "water tight seal" products simply because the odds of you getting a perfectly prepped surface that will repel any and all moisture is darn near impossible. Once water, moisture, humdity get in under these products it's only a matter of time before the area rots from the inside out.

My Hemi manifolds were starting to show rust through whatever coating was put on them. I thought about putting them in my blast cabinet but it’s a medium sized unit and the Hemi manifolds are so big and heavy that it would have been difficult to get them done 100%. Plus I usually wheel it outside and hook it up to a shop vac and the weather has not been real cooperative lately. So I took the easy way out and got out my old standby - some good old navel jelly (now sold by Locktite) and gave them about three treatments of it. They came out looking pretty good since it was mostly just surface rust - it it also stripped the old paint off. We’ll see over time if it holds up. A little bit of surface staining left. This was before paint.
BABB87E0-C138-4CA8-8380-7D4ED42AC4B5.jpeg

Another thing where there’s a 100 different products to use. Buddy who likes to give me his stout advice loves por15 telling me I just gotta use this on my replacement truck box last summer. The box was pretty nice; very little rust with most of the surfaces still with good primer and paint on it.

Did a long-long search on possible products to use and told him of the reviews I found about problems with por15 on coated or non-rusted surfaces peeling off. Didn’t believe me, lol. I selected two products I used after sanding down all of the surfaces to be coated. Time will tell how the stuff I used for rust protection will hold up..

Dak resto 3.jpg

I tried spraying the Top Coat from a spray gun once. I think the instructions only recommended you thin it a tiny amount (5% or something along those lines - I don't remember). Wouldn't even come out of the gun until I thinned it about 30%. It was kind of a gamble to experiment like that...But it ended up laying nice and even on Scotch Brite-prepped raw aluminum.

The only thing unplanned, but to no surprise, it was supposed to be semi-gloss and ended up glossy.

Crap, I wish I would have read this thread earlier. I had many people tell me por 15 red can was best stuff to use around a rusty windshield frame after some epoxy putty repairs and before applying the butyl tape....so thats what I did, It seamed to work good but I didnt try to peal it off. Too late now the windshield is installed. 50 bucks a quart the **** better work!

Crap, I wish I would have read this thread earlier. I had many people tell me por 15 red can was best stuff to use around a rusty windshield frame after some epoxy putty repairs and before applying the butyl tape....so thats what I did, It seamed to work good but I didnt try to peal it off. Too late now the windshield is installed. 50 bucks a quart the **** better work!
Don't worry I think you are fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back