• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POR15 in floor pans?

Celt69

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
Just about to install new underlay and carpet in my '67 Belvedere and had a thought (maybe not a good one)! My floor pans are good and not rusty but would it be wise or make sense to coat the floor pans with POR15 before the new underlay and carpet go in for added protection? The car is always garaged and never out on wet days.

DSC02304.JPG
I did mine, I figured why not? Since then I have been disappointed in the performance of POR-15, and might look into something different if I was doing it again.
DSC02305.JPG

If you're gonna do it....

Epoxy primer
Epoxy primer
Epoxy primer
Epoxy primer
Epoxy primer

it will rust under that black mess
and the black mess is hard to get rid of
when you want to do it right with epoxy primer.

it will rust under that black mess

Yeah, but at least the rust will come off in a big sheet with the POR 15.

thats because it will trap in the moisture that is under it.
after removing it from most of a car
i hate that snake oil just for the reason its a pain to get rid of.

so epoxy primer seems like maybe a better choice based on the comments here.

I agree with epoxy primer if you want to protect the metal for good. POR15 wont stick to non rusted metal, it will peel right off in a sheet.

how about rust bullett,propwash used it on his roadrunner and he likes the way it turned out

how about rust bullett,propwash used it on his roadrunner and he likes the way it turned out

I used some Rust Bullet when restoring my Charger after talking to Will about it. It does adhere far better than POR15, but still nowhere near what epoxy will do for you.

This may sound like a dumb question, but why not use self etching primer and then top coat it with acrylic enamel? That's the way the factory done it. Well, they actually used acrylic laquer, but you get where I'm coming from.

thanks for the input guys, pan was clean enough after all interior out just going a head with the underlay and carpet

Auto Transport Service
Back