• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

post covid comp cam

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
ok .... 3rd set of comp lifters.... what else yall got???

I can't say my lifters are toast, but my Comp Cam doesn't look real great after break-in.

What does that mean...you've had 3 sets fail? Or 3 sets of lifters have worn more than you think they should have?
If that's the case maybe something else is going on...
Bottom line, if you don't feel comfortable using Comp products, don't use them!
Be aware though, that the overwhelming majority of cam/lifter brands source their parts and cores from the same company(s).

What does that mean...you've had 3 sets fail? Or 3 sets of lifters have worn more than you think they should have?
If that's the case maybe something else is going on...
Bottom line, if you don't feel comfortable using Comp products, don't use them!
Be aware though, that the overwhelming majority of cam/lifter brands source their parts and cores from the same company(s).m
more than one in each set have collapsed . pushrods are still spinning. it was a kit with springs lifters and cam. did as thay said to break in and that part seems to be ok. wondering if cam will live thro a 4th break in with in 500 miles.

more than one in each set have collapsed . pushrods are still spinning. it was a kit with springs lifters and cam. did as thay said to break in and that part seems to be ok. wondering if cam will live thro a 4th break in with in 500 miles.
I'm not sure I understand. You replaced an entire set of lifters because a few collapsed ? And then you replaced that set too? And then another set ? Why not just replace only the defective ones ?

I'm not sure I understand. You replaced an entire set of lifters because a few collapsed ? And then you replaced that set too? And then another set ? Why not just replace only the defective ones ?
What a pain. A friend has replaced a half dozen Comp lifters on his 440 because they collapsed. One at a time. :BangHead: :BangHead:

The post covid lifters had the same problem as the pre-covid lifters. THE MATERIAL IS CRAP.

Get some 25+ yr old lifters & have them re-faced.

if 4 went by by why won't the rest later???

Just a thought @hacksaw......if different sets of lifters keep collapsing......is the spring pressure correct? Have the springs been tested and setup properly? You just can't go by the paper specs unfortunately. I've not had problems with anyone's tappets but everything gets checked and tested to the point of compulsiveness...that does not mean you can't get a bad one though.
But bad ones in three different sets? That's suspicious enough to get me looking elsewhere..
if you want to use the best tappets currently made call Mike Jones @Jones cams and see what he has. He used to keep plenty of sets of Hylift/Johnson in stock but if not he can surely point you in the right direction.

Just a thought @hacksaw......if different sets of lifters keep collapsing......is the spring pressure correct? Have the springs been tested and setup properly? You just can't go by the paper specs unfortunately.
if you want to use the best tappets currently made call Mike Jones @Jones cams and see what he has. He used to keep plenty of sets of Hylift/Johnson in stock but if not he can surely point you in the right direction.
ya .. i got his number ... the springs are ok. and the first set went bad before i put the inner spring back in. this seems to be a not just me thing. and not just a comp thing nether. just shitty parts got in the system during/after covid do to not being able to get any parts.

ya .. i got his number ... the springs are ok. and the first set went bad before i put the inner spring back in. this seems to be a not just me thing. and not just a comp thing nether. just shitty parts got in the system during/after covid do to not being able to get any parts.
Well I won't the argue the "shitty parts" deal, that's for sure! My point was we just have to be 1000% more attentive when putting stuff together these days...you're one of the good guys around here, I wish you much success!

ok .... just a FYI ... here is a set of NEW comp cams 822 hydro lifters...
pic #1 as you can see there is NO swirls on the face and is flat..... #2 has come pre flat with a dish in the face of it .... #3 has 2 dips in the face and no swirl marks ...
these are what is coming out. only 6 had a taper of 1-1.5k needed to make them work as thay should.
1693321050168.png

1693321173940.png

1693321504563.png

ok .... just a FYI ... here is a set of NEW comp cams 822 hydro lifters...
pic #1 as you can see there is NO swirls on the face and is flat..... #2 has come pre flat with a dish in the face of it .... #3 has 2 dips in the face and no swirl marks ...
these are what is coming out. only 6 had a taper of 1-1.5k needed to make them work as thay should.
View attachment 1517336
View attachment 1517339

View attachment 1517344
Junk. The ones without a crown won't turn in the bores and will wipe out a lobe.

at this point it don't matter who or where thay came from to sell us. no way in hell this should have been shipped out to a builder.
i sent them these pics ... as of yet have got no reply

at this point it don't matter who or where thay came from to sell us. no way in hell this should have been shipped out to a builder.
i sent them these pics ... as of yet have got no reply
They don't seem to care

I was so nervous breaking in a previous flat tappet cam that I installed a roller cam set up on my most recent build.

I was so nervous breaking in a previous flat tappet cam that I installed a roller cam set up on my most recent build.
how much more that cost??? and the hydro rollers are collapsing as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back