• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power pack

SaskRunner

Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
I am fixing the guage lights in a 67 Charger. I have replaced the capacitor in the power pack.

The pack now produces 330 v. I am wondering if this is too high a voltage to use.

Anyone have any experience with this?

OK, I'm not afraid to raise my hand and ask a stupid question....what's a "power pack"?

OK, I'm not afraid to raise my hand and ask a stupid question....what's a "power pack"?
IMG_3025.JPG

This is a "power pack" front and backside picture of it. They provide power for the 1966-1967 Dodge Charger electroluminescent instrument cluster.

Not uncommon since they were only on 66-7 Chargers and Chrysler imperials with Electro-Luminecent dash lighting.
It is th epower pack that ups the power from 12 V to 200 V (or so).
In answer to the other question, yeah that seems a little high but Bryan (A383wing) will be able to tell you for sure.
You can also see the schematic on my page http://www.retrorarities.com/images/ChargerServiceManualSuppliment.pdf

I am fixing the guage lights in a 67 Charger. I have replaced the capacitor in the power pack.

The pack now produces 330 v. I am wondering if this is too high a voltage to use.

I narrowed the problem to the gauges or the radio.

I tested a OEM pack and it was 315 v

So now the guage cluster has to come out, great.

It does help if you loosen the steering column bracket and lower the column a tad bit first. It's a piece of cake after that... relatively speaking. Been there on more than one occasion.

It does help if you loosen the steering column bracket and lower the column a tad bit first. It's a piece of cake after that... relatively speaking. Been there on more than one occasion.

My power pack is right at 350v, my EL system works perfectly. When I Talked to JC's Auto Restoration I was told the shop manual is incorrect and you need well over 300v.

Could you please direct me to where to buy that capacitor?

The capacitor is cheap, should be available at most electronic suppliers.
I think my friend bought some for about 1.00 a piece.
Also SOME MASSEY FERGUSON Tractors from mid? 1960s had electra luminescent (sp) gauges with a power pack. My nephew did one for us.

The capacitor is cheap, should be available at most electronic suppliers.
I think my friend bought some for about 1.00 a piece.
Also SOME MASSEY FERGUSON Tractors from mid? 1960s had electra luminescent (sp) gauges with a power pack. My nephew did one for us.
Any part# or specs to mention to get the correct one?

Ill take the info too if you want to PM me

Auto Transport Service
Back