• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

power steering 68 charger

captaintuneu

Local time
1:49 PM
Reaction score
I bought a 68 charger 383 and it did not have power steering pump (someone took it) I think it is a Saginaw power steering pump or federal I have both pumps. the power steering hose that is on the car is original, the fitting that goes into the pump is a threaded male with a flared end. the hose does not fit to either pump. in the parts catalog show a plug or ferule insert part no#1738683. the question is am I missing the ferrule and can I get one or do I have the wrong pumps (the pumps came off of 68 "B" body cars with a 383) can someone help me figure this out

Last edited:
I would try to match up new line for of one your pumps rather then using the original old hose . The hose fitting on the steering gearbox they seem to be all pretty similiar... but I have run into the same trouble with the pump fitting that you are having. They look similar but don`t fit.. I dealt with a 69 that didn`t interchange with another 69. It was hard to find the right line but figured it out eventually....the lines were different and no fitting was missing. Parts stores used to have books with pictures of the hoses to help pick the right fitting out..but. you could post a couple pictures ...maybe you could get some more help.

Last edited:
thanks for the info what I ended up doing was it machined a ferrule and pressed it into the pump works and no leaks.
I should have done that along time ago. I should have said the hose was a NOS but thanks for the info

Auto Transport Service
Back