• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering box still leaks after 2 seal changes

2quick

Reaction score
So my 66 satellite has had a steering box "Drip" for a few months now and i decided to change the seal. I pulled the dust shield, took down the snap ring, pulled the metal washer and dug out the old seal. A real PITA to say the least. While installing the new seal I didn't have a socket or pipe that would fit over the shaft and inside the opening in the gear box at the same time so i tapped it in with the blade of the screw driver. I replaced the washer, a new snap ring, and dust seal, installed pitman arm and started the car. Well of coarse it was leaking worse than before cause thats just my luck. So I chalked it up to
either a bad seal or maybe the screw driver I used to install the seal may have tore it or something. A week later I ordered a another new seal kit and tried again, this time I pulled the pitman arm, dust shield, and snap ring and started the car. (I read some ware on this forum that the hydraulic pressure from the fluid would pop the seal out). wouldn't ya know it actually works. Well again with the new seal but this time i made sure to put some sealant around the OD of the seal (it's metal with no rubber) and press it in with a nylon sleeve I had made in the machine shop. After Putting everything back together I started the car and it still leaks.
What should I do know? :banghead:

Does the sector shaft have a worn area (groove) from contact with the seal over the years......maybe the shaft needs a stainless speedy sleeve, alternatively.....perhaps a seal with a slightly smaller ID.

Check to see if there's any scoring on the sector shaft. If so, probably better off just replacing the box. You can send it to FirmFeel or Steer & Gear for a rebuild. Let them know what the problem is so they know what to look for. Maybe it can be polished out.

I didnt see any scoring on the shaft and the seal went on nice and tight. I'll call over to firm feel later today. Thanks.

Check to see if the sector shaft wiggles side to side. A shaft bushing/bearing may be worn allowing the shaft to ruin the seal. I would make sure that when you check for sector shaft movement (side to side) that no load is on the shaft from steering wheel.

Back