• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering help

pearljam724

Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
69 Coronet. Anyone ever change a 69 power steering gear box ? I changed the pump a couple of times recently. I cut down the leaking drastically. The gearbox itself is still leaking a little. But, I can’t decipher where. I know it’s the gearbox at this point because it throws fluid onto the starter.
What are those star bolts called and what size socket is needed to remove it ? I believe all I have to do is remove those 2 star bolts and loosen what looks like a Allen bolt on the column shaft.
Those who have fought getting these in and out. What is the easiest approach you’ve found. Starter removed ? Anything else ? And what is the best price you’ve found and where ?

You probably just need a seal kit, not a whole new box. The seals can be changed with the box in the car but I imagine it would be fiddly. Do a search on here, there are threads relating to this. Have you tried a stop leak additive? I tried one and it didn't do much, but then recently I tried one from Lucas and it's virtually eliminated the leak. I was at the point of pulling the box to change the seals but now I've pretty much forgotten about it as it's so minor. If you do pull the box there are 3 bolts to undo, not sure of the size, maybe 5/8. If you haven't got headers then it will probably come out the bottom with a bit of twisting and turning. I'd definitely give the stop leak additive a try first though.

You probably just need a seal kit, not a whole new box. The seals can be changed with the box in the car but I imagine it would be fiddly. Do a search on here, there are threads relating to this. Have you tried a stop leak additive? I tried one and it didn't do much, but then recently I tried one from Lucas and it's virtually eliminated the leak. I was at the point of pulling the box to change the seals but now I've pretty much forgotten about it as it's so minor. If you do pull the box there are 3 bolts to undo, not sure of the size, maybe 5/8. If you haven't got headers then it will probably come out the bottom with a bit of twisting and turning. I'd definitely give the stop leak additive a try first though.
That’s a good suggestion and I will. But, the way that stuff goes. I don’t feel any stop leak will completely fix 50 year old seals that need replaced. But, as you stated. It’s worth trying first. It definitely needs a seal kit. Because it’s not coming from a hose. They are new and I checked them for leaks several times. I’ve done so much to this car, that it isn’t funny. This is the last thing, I needed to sort out. Finally fixed my driveline vibration over 65. That I endlessly hunted and addressed for several months. Rear yoke, was worn a millimeter or 2 where the c clips ride against. Believe it or not. That millimeter or two of wear caused enough vibration to drive me mad. Looking, thinking it was one thing, spending and hunting. Lol !

Last edited:
No Allen bolts...should be 12 point head, there are 3 that hold the box in. Gotta pull your steering column and probably pull the torsion bar as well as the starter. Best bet is to get a copy of the fsm and follow it. Think you can download one at mymopar.com

No Allen bolts...should be 12 point head, there are 3 that hold the box in. Gotta pull your steering column and probably pull the torsion bar as well as the starter. Best bet is to get a copy of the fsm and follow it. Think you can download one at mymopar.com
Steering column needs completely pulled out or moved back a few inches ? I’m wondering why, without looking at it at this moment. Why it can’t be pulled out from the top of engine bay ?

It might come out the top but may well hit the exhaust manifold depending on what motor you have. I am literally working in this area right now (having a 5 min break) chasing down a leak in my exhaust manifold and it's very tight on that side what with the battery, power steering pump, starter, brake booster/master cylinder. If you've got headers you've got no chance.

Anyone rebuild one of these gear boxes lately or have pictures of what it looks like under this adaptor piece you could post ?
After a lot of observing it in the past year. I believe the majority of leaking is around this adaptor on the top held by two nuts. And there’s a triangular adaptor in the front of it that one hose is clamped to. I believe if I take those 2 adapters off and make my own gaskets. It very well may seal everything up, without take off or buying another gear box. It’s not leaking very bad. But, enough to piss me off, lol ! I have to add to the reservoir about every 5th-6th ime I take it for a drive. And sprays on my starter a little. I tried tightening the two nuts a few months ago.

B25910DE-A8D7-47C9-9D63-17096CC0A6CD.jpeg

The front return fitting and top valve block use rubber O-rings in machined grooves, not gaskets. I get them from a local hydraulic supply for about 25 cents a piece. There is a process for re-centering the steering outlined in the FSM, which often needs to be done after removing and re-installing the valve block.

Last edited:
The front return fitting and top valve block use rubber O-rings in machined grooves, not gaskets. I get them from a local hydraulic supply for about 25 cents a piece. There is a process for re-centering the steering outlined in the FSM, which often needs to be done after removing and re-installing the valve block.
Thank you, I hope to find it in the manual. Pretty sure, that’s the problem.

Make sure when you go to start it for the first time after messing with that valve you keep clear of the steering wheel until you get it properly adjusted.

I filled the pump with some Lucas power steering leak stop. Went on two drives totaling about 60 miles. Both days it was a little under 50 degrees. For the first time it never leaked a drop. But, we’ll see how it is when it’s much warmer. Big improvement considering how bad it leaked. I’m going to replace the o-ring seals on the valve body when it warms up.

Auto Transport Service
Back