• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering hose mess

I'm hoping the terminal end is just laid there during storage since it's not actually connected in the pic.
I was taking resistance readings of the starter and charging connections to see how circuits were holding up wiring and connections wise. Don't want bad wires or loose connections killing my new battery. Thanks for the heads up.

View attachment 1171368 View attachment 1171369 View attachment 1171370 View attachment 1171371 View attachment 1171372 The 5/8" power steering return hose is a Gates 10RLA. Bought one from Rick Rehrenberg on ebay cheaper if you go to an auto parts place, I would guess. Took the part number off the hose so if I need another.
Is that a 6 or 7 blade fan? I have to install a fan shroud (why those seem to disappear I don't know) and thinking of getting a 7 blade but have a 6 blade now.

And I'll get more detailed pics as well. Does the pump and bracket look correct for 66?

There were several years production (mid 60s vintage) that Chrysler used Pivoting power steering pump mounting bracket that literally allowed the pump assembly to pivot clockwise (viewed head on) to tighten the drive belt to preventing slipping of the belt while putting max stress on the pump (like parking). During normal operation, the drive belt was looser reducing stress on the pump and belt. To allow the pump to pivot on the mounting bracket, the pressure and return hoses were deliberately longer to allow movement of the pump. Can't be specific as to which years or models but used the THOMPSON/TRW or Federal pump with thd high pressure line coming out of the front area of the pump. Your vehicle may have universal hoses installed in lieu of originals.
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
20210926_191539.jpg
20210926_191611.jpg
20210926_191850.jpg
20210926_191651.jpg
20210926_191620.jpg
20210926_191813.jpg
Does this look right the way the hoses are layed out? One line is rubbing against the battery tray, the other seems too log.View attachment 1171201 View attachment 1171202
More pics of pump and steering gear box.
20210926_191539.jpg
20210926_191539.jpg

The pressure hose you have is sort of a common replacement piece that's currently available, but not exactly an oem fit. I used to have that same one for many years and hated it. It took me 25 years to find one, but this is the style you probably need. It's a direct replacement for the original. I was not spending $400 for NOS Mopar.
View attachment 1171280

View attachment 1171278

@turbine68rt Don't suppose you have a picture of the correct NOS hose do ya?

Half inch stuck in my head. Your is the same as mine. You saw in post #9 the Gates hose with number on it? In post #9 I ran toward battery and looped down and back to steering box. Don't think you loop backward and down to steering box without a kink.

Your car is a 66/67? It won't be original, just like it's not for my 1968 B body plymouth, but I really like the length and hard line bends for stock 69 hoses. They are shorter in length and have more direct bends. I did need to source a threaded metal reducer fitting to connect to the steering box, but no leaks and it fits great.

Your car is a 66/67? It won't be original, just like it's not for my 1968 B body plymouth, but I really like the length and hard line bends for stock 69 hoses. They are shorter in length and have more direct bends. I did need to source a threaded metal reducer fitting to connect to the steering box, but no leaks and it fits great.
Yes a 66. Turbine 68RT sent a good pick of what I should look for with the bends necessary to keep line from leaning on battery.

I can't imagine factory pump hoses working wit such a short run between pump and gearbox. Previous posted pics of what you folks have makes more sense.
20210926_195418.jpg

This picture was taken when we changed the heads
You can see how my lines are run

IMG_20200523_171510823.jpg

There were several years production (mid 60s vintage) that Chrysler used Pivoting power steering pump mounting bracket that literally allowed the pump assembly to pivot clockwise (viewed head on) to tighten the drive belt to preventing slipping of the belt while putting max stress on the pump (like parking). During normal operation, the drive belt was looser reducing stress on the pump and belt. To allow the pump to pivot on the mounting bracket, the pressure and return hoses were deliberately longer to allow movement of the pump. Can't be specific as to which years or models but used the THOMPSON/TRW or Federal pump with thd high pressure line coming out of the front area of the pump. Your vehicle may have universal hoses installed in lieu of originals.
BOB RENTON
Just read the last issue of Mopar Action and low and behold Tech Topics Richard Ehrenberg had a question about the pumps. What I have is a TRW/Thompson. What I have has the straight 5/8" return bung on the pump. I see others run that line up and over the front of the pump than back to steering box.

Looks great. Where did you get the high pressure line from and part #if you got it handy. Thanks
Make sure that you are using the proper style fitting on the pressure hose. I believe it changed after '68.

Are you talking thread or the way the metal tubes are beveled?

The tube fittings shown in the following post, #38, are called male inverted flare nut connections, that are double flared, to prevent pinch-off, when sealing against high pressure. The other half of the connection is inside the device being plumbed.
BOB RENTON

The tube fittings shown in the following post, #38, are called male inverted flare nut connections, that are double flared, to prevent pinch-off, when sealing against high pressure. The other half of the connection is inside the device being plumbed.
BOB RENTON
Excellent info. Thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back