• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Pump Issue

Charlie Brown

Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
I have the pictured PS pump in my car. I rebuilt it about 800 miles ago. It worked fine until last week. I now have very little, if any "parking lot" assist. When the car starts to move forward, the assist returns. Increased engine rpm also helps. While driving, there are no issues. Could the use of ATF+4 as the fluid be an issue? Steering box is a Firm Feel rebuild with about 25k on it. Diagnosis welcome.

20230821_162939[1].jpg

20230821_162949[1].jpg

Did you use a new drive belt? If so it may have stretched from the originally installed tightness. They all seem to.
Mike

I have that same pump and it does the exact same thing, I’ve had it apart a few times with no easy fix found. The pump slippers are probably shot and no longer available. Finding a NOS replacement is unlikely or unaffordable. If your car is not a concourse restoration, I’d swap in a 69 or later Saginaw pump. Easy to get parts and pretty reliable. Pretty much a bolt in if you find the right donor.

Last edited:
I have the pictured PS pump in my car. I rebuilt it about 800 miles ago. It worked fine until last week. I now have very little, if any "parking lot" assist. When the car starts to move forward, the assist returns. Increased engine rpm also helps. While driving, there are no issues. Could the use of ATF+4 as the fluid be an issue? Steering box is a Firm Feel rebuild with about 25k on it. Diagnosis welcome.

View attachment 1513159

View attachment 1513160
Most people use ATF+4, out of convenience or recommended by their "buddy". but the power steering system is a hydraulic fluid system. Usually, the FSM recommends a hydraulic fluid such as ISO-VIS #32 or #46. Hydraulic fluid has totally different characteristics such as anti wear, anti foam, additive package, and temperature ratings. But you can't go wrong with the FSM recommendation....your choice of brand names......
BOB RENTON

I'd buy a bunch of regular old power steering fluid.
Pump what's in there out.
Flush with fluid.
Fill with fluid.
Ill bet it will improve.

Auto Transport Service
Back