• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Window Install?

dodge68charger

Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys Just Wondering Where I Would Tap Into Power For My Power Window Harness on My 69 Satellite?

Should I Add Any Relays Or Anything..

The Car Came With Power Windows And I Ordered a New Dash Harness Because The Car Never Came With One When I Bought It. The Cars Disassembled

Thanks

It connects to the threaded stud on the output side of the amp meter and has a circuit breaker in the wire.

I added power windows to my car. I ran the power wire through the firewall and hooked it up to the constant power side of the starter relay. I wanted the windows operable at all times. Also the less accessory power you run through the firewall bulkhead wiring connector the better. They can barely take the amperage of cars with no extra accessories. When I bought my OEM window harness it had an automatic reset circuit breaker on the power wire. It is rated 30 amps. This is on a 1968 RT.

Last edited:
I Only Really Want The Windows Working With It Keyed On.

Can I Tie Into The 12v Stud That Is Provided On The Back Of The Voltmeter?

Can Install a Circuit Breaker
( 20 amp )? Inline

I Only Really Want The Windows Working With It Keyed On.

Can I Tie Into The 12v Stud That Is Provided On The Back Of The Voltmeter?

Can Install a Circuit Breaker
( 20 amp )? Inline
Yes, because the Voltmeter requires you to join the two power leads.

I don’t know how adamant you are about the windows only working with the key on, but I am pretty certain hooking to the voltmeter is a constant voltage source. I am positive the ammeter is, so switching to a voltmeter should also be constant. I do not know if power windows required the key in 69. If they did they got power from some other source.

In my 68 Coronet FSM the location for the power window circuit breaker is “instrument panel cluster behind ammeter”. In the 69 Polara FSM it says “on fuse block”.

Do you have a 69 Coronet FSM?

Last edited:
Also, no I personally would not use a 20 amp breaker or fuse. The factory spec is 30, so if you install a 20 you risk tripping it during normal operation, and if that should occur, you will be in the dark as to wether the trip was caused by a problem or just because a lower amperage breaker is being used.

Last edited:
Another thought. You say the car had the power windows from the factory. If that is true, and the pw wiring has not been altered, first of all you should be able to see if there is a cb on the power wire. If there is none from the factory, power almost certainly came from the fuse block. Secondly, you should be able to tell by the length of the power wire if that indicates it attached to the ammeter or fuse block. Thirdly, what kind of terminal is on the end of the power wire? That would also give an indication as to what it should be connected to.

Last edited:
I ll See If I Can Find Some Pictures

I Remember Taking Some Of Something Behind The Dash. I See a Thick Red Wire Coming From The Fuse Box Piggy Backing Off a Terminal With an In line Fuse In a Black Housing

That thick red wire with the in-line fuse coming off of the fuse block sounds like it is very likely the power line for the power windows. If there is a fuse in that in-line holder it would help to know the amperage of that fuse.

I Will Check Tmrw And Post The Amperage If There Is a Fuse If Anyone Needs To Know It. Thank You

How do you get in touch with crackedback?

Auto Transport Service
Back