• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prestolite Dual Point Tach Drive

My MAX has a 300J distributor. My big thing is how do I have a distributor from a car they only built 400 of?! And yes it has a tach drive and no vacuum advance.

You would be surprised what has gotten switched around over the years especially when the Mallory and Accell brands were hot. Blows my mine sometimes what I get in as cores when I just buy a lot of them. Usually 4 out of ten are junk, one gem then just average driver stuff. You just never know. Have the Tag number off of it? It might fit others also.

i went to buy a r/r one time but the owner said the motor came out of a chrysler 300 it had dual fours and a tack drive dizzy

My MAX has a 300J distributor. My big thing is how do I have a distributor from a car they only built 400 of?! And yes it has a tach drive and no vacuum advance.

I have Prestolites out of a 62 300H and a 64 300K,both have advance and tach drive,68 race Hemi,tach drive and no advance.

View attachment 825853

Picture 996.jpg

Max Wedge and Super stock Hemi were IBB type with no vacuum and no mechanical tach; they were 42xx series. There were Race Hemi and other motor Distributors with DP, no vacuum and with Mechanical Tach; IBB-44xx series. Then there where IBS with DP, Vacuum and Mechanical Tach for some of the early hemi and the 300 Letter cars, possibly others.

Some tags are easy to move because only held on with screw, others are riveted.

D2.jpg 163647.jpg 153919.jpg Side.jpg

Does anyone have concrete evidence of this distributor being available in a 64 Sport Fury 426 Street Wedge? The tach drive portion is making me scratch my head because while new to 62-65 cars I have never seen one in a Sport Fury. All the tach's I have seen were mounted in the console and electric. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 817937

My '65 Coronet 426W car had a tach drive distributor in it with an electric tach in the console. I got rid of all those parts years ago but I do remember the cast iron tach drive distributor. Not sure why it was in the car but it was.

The parts book for 64 shows the 426s as having that distributor so I guess there is my concrete evidence. Like every other manufacturer Chrysler Plymouth used what they had on hand..this is a good example.

Max Wedge and Super stock Hemi were IBB type with no vacuum and no mechanical tach; they were 42xx series. There were Race Hemi and other motor Distributors with DP, no vacuum and with Mechanical Tach; IBB-44xx series. Then there where IBS with DP, Vacuum and Mechanical Tach for some of the early hemi and the 300 Letter cars, possibly others.

Some tags are easy to move because only held on with screw, others are riveted.

View attachment 827380 View attachment 827381 View attachment 827382 View attachment 827384

Also riveted .

Picture 301.jpg

The parts book for 64 shows the 426s as having that distributor so I guess there is my concrete evidence. Like every other manufacturer Chrysler Plymouth used what they had on hand..this is a good example.

Remember the tach drive houses were an earlier design from 40-50s used for military vehicles, marine, industrial. Only later did it become an exotic racing item for the performance folks in the muscle car era:)

Auto Transport Service
Back