• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price gougers study

I dealt with many hundreds this past weekend. Met all the usual suspects. You can usually see who's a buyer, when they approach. They have a look in their eyes....like on a mission.

There's a difference between a buyer and a sucker,I'm a real buyer,many people on here can attest to that,but it seems that lately,many sellers are posting parts at beyond insane prices hoping for that one sucker! I been in this game for 45 years,and no one will play me for a sucker!

There's a difference between a buyer and a sucker,I'm a real buyer,many people on here can attest to that,but it seems that lately,many sellers are posting parts at beyond insane prices hoping for that one sucker! I been in this game for 45 years,and no one will play me for a sucker!
Very true. It's best to just scroll on by. As busy as the site is, if no one posts, the ad will be lost on page 10 by the end of the day. Play the game.

I was reading on another forum about how there was a restored grille for a 67 GTX at the Mopar Nationals for the paltry sum of $3600.00! I saw an NOS 71 Challenger grille and bezels at Carlisle for $6500.00. There is a whole new level of obsurdity with the prices of parts these days! I don't know if anyone is actually buying these parts at those prices, but I'm not!

Last edited:
Funny, for over 50 years...I've always looked at this as a hobby, not a game.

It's too bad bitcoin isn't still a few bucks a coin. The more popular something becomes with millions of more people added to the market, the more expensive it becomes when demand isn't there to meet it. I've had people buy parts off me on here and moparts only to turn around and re-list on ebay for several hundred bucks more than what I sold it for but that's capitalism. I can understand flipping some parts when deals are found (and still list them at or below what others have sold at on this site) to be able to do so in order to fund a build or something and for us new guys it's a whole new mountain to climb to be able to have one of these nice cars, especially a B body. Much less for us to find parts at a good deal that we weren't fortunate enough to be in the "game" back in the 80's and 90's when junkyards were full of this stuff with the all you can carry deals for $100 only for them to be marked up 10,000% in the current year.

I am not against selling or even flipping parts to fund the projects, everyone does that. But lately its like people are trying to retire off the profit they make off their hobby car parts! Complete insanity! There's $4500 Charger seats on here and there not completely restored and are missing parts! Is it me?

I am not against selling or even flipping parts to fund the projects, everyone does that. But lately its like people are trying to retire off the profit they make off their hobby car parts! Complete insanity! There's $4500 Charger seats on here and there not completely restored and are missing parts! Is it me?
I see where you're coming from on that. Saw some 68/69 bucket seats that needed recovered a while back for $2k. On the flip side, there's a set of 69 buckets out in Texas with the headrests for $500 right now with tracks but needs new foams/covers and restored. All the good deals seem to be so far away that it wouldn't make sense to travel or ship to get it.

I bought a 70 b body Dana rear axle with 3.54 gears for $1800 last week from a friend of mine. He wanted 2 grand for it,but it needed a pinion seal and a cover gasket so he knocked a couple hundred off for me. Five years ago I bought two of them at Carlisle, I paid $1100 for one and $1250 for the other. I thought $1800 was a lot of money for one ,but there was one for 3 grand on another site,and one for $3300 on here that needs the ring and pinion replaced. He was including the new ring and pinion gears with it. The one that I bought is tight and turns smoothly. After seeing those prices I was feeling better about my $1800 purchase.

I see where you're coming from on that. Saw some 68/69 bucket seats that needed recovered a while back for $2k. On the flip side, there's a set of 69 buckets out in Texas with the headrests for $500 right now with tracks but needs new foams/covers and restored. All the good deals seem to be so far away that it wouldn't make sense to travel or ship to get it.
There are still some deals out there,but you have to look long and hard to find them these days. I'm not looking to steal anyone's parts. I will pay a fair price for a good part. I am blown away by the asking prices that seemed to have more than doubled in the last year. Last year I saw 71 b body Air Grabber/Ramcharger hoods in the $2500-$3500 range which is a lot of money for a hood,now people are asking $5000-$6000 for them.

I complained about a flipper I saw years ago, tripling the price of a part he just bought, (from just under $200 to $600) a one-of-not-very-many Hemi crossram aircleaner. Wonder what would be asked for that part today! $5000? $10,000?

Been at it since the late 60's with Mopars but didn't didn't start collecting parts until 75 when I bought a neglected 70 340 Challenger (A66 car iirc) and then another and another and it kept on snowballing. Most of the stuff I bought was for me but after awhile, just didn't need 4 sets of fenders so advertised in the local Greensheet and newspaper. Didn't take too long before I became the go to guy with all the Challenger parts lol. Sold way too many project cars when I really didn't want to when someone came offering stooopid money (at least back then it was) for it. Most of my racing parts came from swap meets etc and bought very few new items in the name of not having to refi the house and even bought complete drag cars that someone lost interest in.....but now it seems like everyone wants to pay what the stuff was worth 30 years ago! When that happens I just call them a reseller and tell them to go somewhere else.

I complained about a flipper I saw years ago, tripling the price of a part he just bought, (from just under $200 to $600) a one-of-not-very-many Hemi crossram aircleaner. Wonder what would be asked for that part today! $5000? $10,000?

Something that rare,the sky's the limit! Maybe people think that everyone is having a shop do checkbook restorations, where the customer is paying, so the shop is buying the parts no matter the cost!

Been at it since the late 60's with Mopars but didn't didn't start collecting parts until 75 when I bought a neglected 70 340 Challenger (A66 car iirc) and then another and another and it kept on snowballing. Most of the stuff I bought was for me but after awhile, just didn't need 4 sets of fenders so advertised in the local Greensheet and newspaper. Didn't take too long before I became the go to guy with all the Challenger parts lol. Sold way too many project cars when I really didn't want to when someone came offering stooopid money (at least back then it was) for it. Most of my racing parts came from swap meets etc and bought very few new items in the name of not having to refi the house and even bought complete drag cars that someone lost interest in.....but now it seems like everyone wants to pay what the stuff was worth 30 years ago! When that happens I just call them a reseller and tell them to go somewhere else.

I'm not asking for 30 year ago pricing,I would be happy with last years pricing! Lol

Exactly! Buy and resell if you choose. Ask what ever you want. If you don't get any takers it must br overpriced, junk, or not popular. Here on the websites anyway, just keep your comments to yourself and scroll on by. Simple! Some just don't get it.

I was that guy in many circles in metro-Detroit. I parted lots of mopars, sought out rare NOS parts in volume [had access to cancelled and salvaged new mopar parts], and started transporting cars from LA to Detroit....before transporters/dealers got wise to that income. Jobs got in the way of my making real money. Now, if you find 50 year-old NOS, you can thank the guys who were thinking ahead....or buy chi-com crap.

I have to believe that the current price surge in Mopar parts has a direct corellation to weed being legalized. These sellers must be higher than their prices are!

I was that guy in many circles in metro-Detroit. I parted lots of mopars, sought out rare NOS parts in volume [had access to cancelled and salvaged new mopar parts], and started transporting cars from LA to Detroit....before transporters/dealers got wise to that income. Jobs got in the way of my making real money. Now, if you find 50 year-old NOS, you can thank the guys who were thinking ahead....or buy chi-com crap.

We did the same thing up here in New England. My friend was buying up E body cars and bringing them back four at a time from California to Connecticut. I currently have two 70 Charger R/T cars from California, one is a V code 440 Sixpack car,a 71 Charger R/T from the Arizona desert, and a 73 Charger from LA. I didn't buy them to flip through, I bought them for myself. That's where the good cars are.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back