• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price gougers study

Skatpak

Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
Please be honest with answers, I'm doing a study.
Assuming a couple things.
this is a hobby/passion
A great deal of these cars are drivers not trailer babies.
We work for a living or are retired
Have a budget.
With said assumed criteria who is
1. OK with
2. Accepts
3. Tolerates
4. Ignores
5. Says it's just the way it is with this kind of thing
6. Thinks it's honest
7. Thinks just because it can be done it's ethically OK to do so.
1. Price gougers or people intentionally charging too much for parts used or new or services.
2. People trying to inflate or drive the perceived value of said parts or services up because there is no other option or options when in fact there is.
Likes for those that agree with above
Hand shakes for the people not OK with the above. Will that work as a way to keep count?
Please be honest Thank you.

My life is simple, I buy what I want and give the rest away. I have given parts to people on this site several times. I bought my car for whatever the guy wanted and It will be given away when I'm done with it. People trying to inflate or drive the perceived value of everything in this hobby is a money grab by people that know they have some by the balls. When I see people screwing people on a car that they are charging thousands more this year than last year it makes me sick. It's not a fun thing like it use to be, in my opinion. Greed is in every aspect of our lives, been to the grocery store lately.

Asking this question on a forum for Mopar enthusiasts is obviously going to give you mostly "not ok with the above".

Who is going to say it's fine? Just the rip-off merchants, but they generally aren't members here.

What's the question?
I'm thinking he's pissed because of people buying a part for 5 bucks and then selling it for 20. Making extra money off the back of other poor people that need what they have. The hobby has gone out the window and we wonder why the kids today can't or won't get into it. would be my guess.

Of course you could have created a poll to keep tabs on the responses.

I will say that there are a lot of guys that buy and sell to help support their habit, and I’m one of those.

For instance, I may buy a whole lot of parts to get one I need and sell off the rest. Or, I find a good bargain I may try to pass it along but make a few bucks also.

I also sell off stuff I just no longer need. I’ve found that if my price is too high the item won’t sell. I like things to sell.

I don’t just do this for car parts, but my other hobbies as well.

I can’t think of anyone I’ve dealt with that didn’t seem pleased with the transaction.

I'm thinking he's pissed because of people buying a part for 5 bucks and then selling it for 20. Making extra money off the back of other poor people that need what they have. The hobby has gone out the window and we wonder why the kids today can't or won't get into it. would be my guess.
Probably so. I bought a nice LD4B intake for $100, cleaned it up, thread chased the holes and sold it for $250. Does that make me a "price gouger" or a crook or just a smart shopper/ seller. The buyer was real happy to find one for such a reasonable price. Free market system? I know a few people that buy items at garage sales and resell on E bay. Thay make good profit on the items. Damn price gougers!

If you see an item for sale and you think it's too much JUST SCROLL ON BY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably so. I bought a nice LD4B intake for $100, cleaned it up, thread chased the holes and sold it for $250. Does that make me a "price gouger" or a crook or just a smart shopper/ seller. The buyer was real happy to find one for such a reasonable price. Free market system? I know a few people that buy items at garage sales and resell on E bay. Thay make good profit on the items. Damn price gougers!

If you see an item for sale and you think it's too much JUST SCROLL ON BY !!!!!!!!!!!!
You're adding value, not sodomising someone, there's a difference.

Price gougers are the shipping companies. It's impossible to sell a part these days when you need to ship it, no matter what you charge for the part itself.

There have been some horn buttons and steering wheels on here being advertised by lunatics. Hope they hang on the wall for 20 plus years. Greed.

We can all agree that prices for many things have gotten stupid beyond just 'keeping up with inflation'. And I get it, it takes money to play the game. That said, there's being reasonable and then there's gouging and/or thinking anything old-car related is worth gold because "guys on the internet said...."
Unfortunately 'reasonable' is few and far between.
I've looked at quite a few cars, thinking it's time to expand the Mopar family but I simply won't pay the prices these guys want for the condition these cars are in most of the time.
I've thought about buying a "done" car to have some nice to go with my ratty, but honestly that takes the fun out of it for me.
I like to work on them, but no way will I pay 15-20K for a basket case.
Not that I can't, I just won't.
If that means I stay with just the 'ol Satellite funrunner, then so be it.
I feel extra bummed for the folks that don't have an old car and really want one, because there's about a 98% chance they're gonna get hosed, or they just won't get one at all and that sucks when we live in a country that used to churn these things out like turds on a rabbit farm...

The prices of cars and parts have gone completely insane in the last five years. I like many other people on here are priced out of our own hobby. Had I not bought the cars and parts years ago when I could afford to buy them, I would not be in the position I am in right now. I still buy plenty of cars and parts,and am paying the gouged prices that the current market demands,but I look for deals,and I am ready to pounce with cash and a trailer when they come up. When I sell parts which isn't too often anymore it's to put the funds right back into the cars. There is no getting rich,when you are a Mopar addict, the needle goes right back into your arm to feed the addiction. You can't be a successful drug dealer and user at the same time! Lol

The prices of cars and parts have gone completely insane in the last five years. I like many other people on here are priced out of our own hobby. Had I not bought the cars and parts years ago when I could afford to buy them, I would not be in the position I am in right now. I still buy plenty of cars and parts,and am paying the gouged prices that the current market demands,but I look for deals,and I am ready to pounce with cash and a trailer when they come up. When I sell parts which isn't too often anymore it's to put the funds right back into the cars. There is no getting rich,when you are a Mopar addict, the needle goes right back into your arm to feed the addiction. You can't be a successful drug dealer and user at the same time! Lol
After finally capturing the GTX I chased for over 50 years, I drove it to Carlisle for the Chrysler Nationals. Got a serious offer from a high end collector that was nearly twice the already serious price I paid for it last fall. It would have been the best return on an "investment" I ever made in my life. My wife told me not to sell it, but she emphasized that she has never considered the cars to be an investment, just a socially acceptable vice.

Please be honest with answers, I'm doing a study.
Assuming a couple things.
this is a hobby/passion
A great deal of these cars are drivers not trailer babies.
We work for a living or are retired
Have a budget.
With said assumed criteria who is
1. OK with
2. Accepts
3. Tolerates
4. Ignores
5. Says it's just the way it is with this kind of thing
6. Thinks it's honest
7. Thinks just because it can be done it's ethically OK to do so.
1. Price gougers or people intentionally charging too much for parts used or new or services.
2. People trying to inflate or drive the perceived value of said parts or services up because there is no other option or options when in fact there is.
Likes for those that agree with above
Hand shakes for the people not OK with the above. Will that work as a way to keep count?
Please be honest Thank you.
Are we doing handshakes for 1 thru 7 or 1 and 2? Are we doing likes for which one? I get what you are saying just can't decide which is which from your summation.

Agree'd
on #3 tolerate it
on #7 it's some how ethically OK
& on that statement on the 2nd #1 about flippers & gougers, again :thumbsup:

flippers gougers mentality, (not all but many)

my (flippers/gougers parts) rusty old worn out parts
'are worth their weight in gold'
&
your (the same exact level of part) rusty old worn out parts
"are junk, not worth anything, sell them cheap"
or get lowballed = flipper/gouger mentality
(want you to pay shipping too)

unfortunately,
some of the hobby members, see absolutely nothing wrong 'in that'
(I'm not one of them, I try to pass it along like many elders did with me
I've given away more stuff than I've ever sold, pay it forward
)

it's one thing to restore something you bought cheap &
get some profit off it, you improved it, passed it along,
spent some $$ or shipping etc. & made a few $$s

It's a whole different deal, mentality when buying old stuff
'& flipping it' & doing nothing with it,
but raising the price or gouging the next guy

(I think (?) this is what the OP is referencing)

Sadly it's what, it has become today, people see $$$ signs,
it's a motivation in profit off the next guy
not the love of the hobby or helping a brother out in need
(a bond among fellow hobbyists) & some seem fine with that fact

Smiley I've been saying that for 10 damn years Randy Quaid Independence day.png

Last edited:
I bought a Dana rear axle last weekend and thought I paid a lot of money for it, but then I saw one for sale here not anywhere near in as good of condition for $3300 and I felt better about what I paid for mine.

Price gougers are the shipping companies. It's impossible to sell a part these days when you need to ship it, no matter what you charge for the part itself.
Exactly the position I am in. I have a lot of great parts that I no longer need. I also have access to stuff people want. I am nearly done with shipping back to USA or beyond with the current cost to post items.

The badge clips I sold last week - prime example. About $2 worth of product and it cost me around $28 to post in a small packet to Canada. I'm not bitching because it helps a guy out. I swallowed a chunk of the cost myself just to help someone else. It wasn't the first time (not asking for a medal here) but it will be close to the last time....and only because of the ridiculous cost to post/ship items.

I have spent thousands and thousands over the years on shipping items to my location....but I don't piss & moan, because that's just the way it is.

....but I don't piss & moan, because that's just the way it is.
Yeah, unfortunately 'you foreigners:p' take it on the chin when it comes to shipping, much more than we do here within the continental 48.
tJPj7Me-3026631926.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back