• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem powder coating wheels...any suggestions?

dostroupe

Local time
4:51 PM
Reaction score
I am powder coating a set of original cop wheels. The problem I'm having is where the wheel center is mounted to the wheel hoop, that little gap in between. The first one I did had little spaghetti strings in between the two. So, I figured that on the next one I would use a little extra powder in that area. Worse, now it has big bubbles. Rest of the wheel looks awesome. Any ideas, tip, or tricks?

You would have the same problem painting them. I don't know what the solution would be. The factory dipped all the wheels.

Yeah, believe me I know the factory dipped the wheels. That stuff is very hard to get off! I wouldn't have the same problem if I were to paint them, but I wanted them powder coated. I enjoy the method of it and have gotten really good at it, except for this one problem.

I'm cheap, have the stuff already, and don't want to pay someone else!

I have no experience doing powdercoating but understand how it works. So - just a thought - is there any way to brush powder into that area - maybe pour some in and brush it around. Then when you hang the wheel all but a fine layer should more or less fall out.

I might could try to turn it upside down before I stick it in the oven. That might work.

Mine came out great. I used a 15+ year old Eastwood gun. They’ve been collecting dust so I gave them a quick wipe for pics.
I glass beaded them, sprayed generously with brake cleaner, then used 100 PSI through an air nozzle to dry them.

6264405A-8054-401D-A3FB-B6816CF84399.jpeg

8DF8C013-AE83-43E3-B0A4-F45EBA46F3BF.jpeg

923071A5-B671-4408-A03A-6E6D3D81C7F1.jpeg

Those "strings" you're talking about are most likely beads of leftover welding flux where the centers were attached to the barrels. It isn't very noticeable ... until you get powder on them. You can try digging it out with a tip cleaner tool but it won't all break loose.

Ah, you could be correct. Thank you @CudaChick1968. I have resorted to painting the strings black so they're are not noticeable. I see you're from Tennessee, so am I, I am just misplaced at the moment, Go Vols.

Ah, you could be correct. Thank you @CudaChick1968. I have resorted to painting the strings black so they're are not noticeable. I see you're from Tennessee, so am I, I am just misplaced at the moment, Go Vols.
Happy to help!
I'm not from here. It was the only place I could afford to move to after Hurricane Katrina.

Auto Transport Service
Back