• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Alternator/Electric Fan: still have questions (I have read all the archives)

Thanks for the kind words you guys:icon_compress:I rehung my alternator in it's new location tonight.Bought a chrome install kit from JEGS for $40.00 and worked with that and some thought:icon_eyes:

Attachments

• 4.23.12 017.jpg
    4.23.12 017.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 203
  • 4.23.12 018.jpg
    4.23.12 018.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 4.23.12 020.jpg
    4.23.12 020.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 4.23.12 021.jpg
    4.23.12 021.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 176
It looks way better where its at now HEMI. I think I will just go with the Tuff Stuff. Now that I realize that I had previously upgraded all the necessary wires when I installed the battery relocation kit from Mark, I want to replace the alternator even if I could get buy with a single 10" fan. Besides, I want to run cool like all you guys so I don't burn up my new starter. I will try and have two 10" fans picked out before Thursday and drop an order to Summit. After this, I have to stop spending money for a while. But I want to at least cruise with confidence and reliability once a week with what I have. I don't really feel like having to rig anything up if I can get the amps I need in a case that is designed for my car. Another thing I thought about was that Mark was saying that the small Neodenso alternators putting out 120A were the ones that he felt would have a problem staying cool and therefore reliable for long term use. This squareback case is about the same size as the case for my CS130 which puts out similar amps, and it is not like this alternator is putting out 140 or 200 amps. Because of its lower amps, and all of the cooling vents, I don't think reliability will be an issue. It will definately have enough power since a 105A works fine for my Monte Carlo. I can't say for sure how well the Tuff Stuff performs at idle though. But I am willing to give it a shot.

Now I see why BigMan posted that link to Tuff Stuff. Here is what it said.

Is it true that one wire alternators don’t charge at idle?

Tuff Stuff’s 30 years of experience have enabled us to develop alternator internal components that will keep your battery charged at a crawl. No other manufacturer in the industry has been able to produce more amps at low RPM’s than us. There is no need to worry about the use of underdrive pulley systems or ignition regulator turn on with the use of a Tuff Stuff one wire alternator.

I have to call and find out if they have three wire alternators.

You've been doing your homework! I like the stock style alternators, and feel they have more than enough power for most applications in our older mopars at idle (where you need it). The Denso alternators are great quality, and I doubt they would be an issue at all running on the car but if you do not need the additional charging capacity; stick with a factory style unit. Just like our starters, new isn't always better or necessary!

I have basically zeroed in on the alternator at this link. http://www.tuffstuffperformance.com...gory_id=175&home_id=174&mode=prod&prd8124.htm

I like the black powdercoated finish best because look at all of the other black hoses, wires, and wire wrap that sits on top of the alternator anyway. Plus my engine block is black. You won't be able to see it anyway so what is the point of paying for chrome?

The details on the Summit Racing website indicate that this is not 1 wire capable. When you click on the 360 degree video of the alternator, you can see it has three wire terminals in the back so it must be a 3 wire setup. I will have to figure out how to wire this thing up. You guys will have to tell me how to wire it up with a warning light or I will have to make some phone calls. I will call Tuff Stuff tomorrow when they are open.

Attachments

• sdfsdf 007.jpg
    sdfsdf 007.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 175
I have basically zeroed in on the alternator at this link. http://www.tuffstuffperformance.com...gory_id=175&home_id=174&mode=prod&prd8124.htm

I like the black powdercoated finish best because look at all of the other black hoses, wires, and wire wrap that sits on top of the alternator anyway. Plus my engine block is black. You won't be able to see it anyway so what is the point of paying for chrome?

The details on the Summit Racing website indicate that this is not 1 wire capable. When you click on the 360 degree video of the alternator, you can see it has three wire terminals in the back so it must be a 3 wire setup. I will have to figure out how to wire this thing up. You guys will have to tell me how to wire it up with a warning light or I will have to make some phone calls. I will call Tuff Stuff tomorrow when they are open.

:icon_eyes:
Nice shroud setup

What do you guys recommend to control the fan? I am looking for something I saw where it said that I can adjust the temperature the fan will turn on to whatever I want. I am just now beginning to research this. I have already selected the fans and will post about them later once I get the whole setup together. Plus I am going to do it the right way with relays.

HEMI, if you want to learn more about my shroud look for my recent thread titled custom fan shrouds.

I think I have found what I need, but I will look at all of the kits.

One of them says this:

Combines temperature control and A/C control relay, plus connection for manual switch. Manual switch not included.

What is this about A/C control relay, since I will eventually install A/C?

Just out of curiosity, where does the clamp in bulb style temperature sensor go. I am looking at a probe sensor kit for dual fans with a relay.

I have it narrowed to two kits. One has the A/C control relay.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-31149/

The other does not.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16759/

Which relay considering I will be installing A/C?

These are the fans.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HFM-ZFB10/

And as mentioned earlier, this is the alternator.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFF-7509RFSP/

What is the second pulley used for on a dual pulley alternator? The air conditioning kit I plan to install shows the compressor belt going off toward the water pump.

Okay, just called Flex a lite and I will want the kit that has the A/C relay. This relay will turn on the fans whenever the air conditioning is turned on in order to blow air through the condenser.

All I really need to know at this point is, is there any reason why I should order the dual pulley alternator? What is that second pulley used for?

I think some A/C applications used a double belt. Just spitballing, I don't know for sure. I do know that the second groove can help with some creative belt alignment.

Just got off the phone with Classic Auto Air and I will only need the single pulley alternator. The guy confirmed that some A/C setups could use the second pulley on the alternator to turn the compressor. I am going to send off this order, and will let you know how everything works out.

Oh no I forgot to order the nylon mounting straps which I was thinking would have been included with the fans so I don't get to do anything to my car this weekend.

Nylon straps? You're not talking about them push through the radiator things are ya? Go down to your local hardware store and my some aluminum strap stock and make some proper mounting brackets. It will be more secure and last a lot longer.

Yeah I was talking about those. However, I am now investigating your idea which I have already done to mount my trans cooler and will have my solution posted here shortly.

It's a double win. Gives you a chance to cruise the hardware store and spend some extra time in the garage. Ain't Saturdays great?

Thanks Rev, like you said, installing these fans is going to be funner than I thought. Notice how I have already used the aluminum sheet stock to install the cooler. The straps would not have worked on the cooler side anyway. You guys are going to like my solution. I can use some metal pipe as spacers for some long bolts to mount the fan over the cooler. Then use some washers and two bolts to mount the other fan to the side of the radiator support, and two one inch by half inch straight aluminum brackets to reach from the fan back over to the bracket for the cooler. So anyway I will post some pictures when I am done. I will have remove the radiator to drill some new holes. I am estimating this entire project will take 30-40 labor hours including wiring. There is no way I am getting done with all this work this weekend. Later when I install the condenser, I can easily make some brackets like the same ones that will hold the condenser in place. Then make two brackets to connect the fans together with a gap between them to clear the hood catch brace which runs down the middle in front of the rad.

Auto Transport Service
Back