• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper radiator for 440 in '69 charger?

kaj750

Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
1969 Dodge charger with a 440. OEM style/size, copper radiator. Aftermarket fan shroud. Runs warm in summer. Perfect otherwise. Summer here reaches well over 100°.
Any recommendations on a better radiator and shroud? I really like how well OEM works versus aluminum, but not opposed to trading it out.
I did three searches and didn't find this question which kind of surprises me. I'm sure I missed it. Feel free to give me crap for not finding it lol

Have you had your OEM radiator and system flushed? Nothing beats stock.

I did best I could after buying the car. I could try again and do another round of 50/50. If the factory radiator is good enough (I have the smaller one but a larger version in storage), then that is good enough for me and I'll make it work. I can accept the fact that the problem is not the radiator.

Did car come with a 26 inch radiator and does your car have factory AC? How is your water pump?

Copper has slightly more heat conductivity than aluminum. Copper is expensive and aluminum is cheaper. So I went with a thicker aluminum radiator. With a factory shroud and clutch fan here in Florida.

Radiators do "wear out" over time, by that I mean the cores lose efficiency as the bonds between the tubes and fins break down and the radiator loses its ability to dissipate the heat. Sounds like your original may be ready for a new recore.

Radiators do "wear out" over time, by that I mean the cores lose efficiency as the bonds between the tubes and fins break down and the radiator loses its ability to dissipate the heat. Sounds like your original may be ready for a new recore.
I've run factory original radiators, both 22" and 26", as well as original fans, and shrouds for decades, with good results. But I've had to re-core many of them, always cured any overheating.

Have you considered having Glen Ray recore your original?

1711890273465.png

This.

I have an 053 22" radiator with shroud in a stock 440 automatic '69 Coronet R/T. Glen Ray redid my radiator and I do not have any cooling problems.

My 22” was a two core original. During motor overhaul and higher compression my 2 core would get hot, had the core upgraded to 3 core and no more heat up. Saying maybe time for recore as stated above. Water pump maybe upgrade to a/c unit (more flow impeller)

This.

I have an 053 22" radiator with shroud in a stock 440 automatic '69 Coronet R/T. Glen Ray redid my radiator and I do not have any cooling problems.
Exactly. Both my B bodies have the factory 22" radiators that Bob at Glen Ray took care of. Both have stroker motors, 560 & 580hp, with no overheating issues.

Did car come with a 26 inch radiator and does your car have factory AC? How is your water pump?

Not sure what size is in the car and in storage, only that the one in the car now is smaller. I plan to run to storage to pull the other radiator and see how it looks. It's used so not sure of condition.

I don't know who that is, but I can Google the name.

As for my current setup, the shroud is a "factory" style but aftermarket so not really sure how good of a seal it has. I'm going to put some foam in between. It does seem to run cooler since adding it, though.
Car is non-AC but upgrading the water pump sounds like a good idea.

Not sure what size is in the car and in storage, only that the one in the car now is smaller. I plan to run to storage to pull the other radiator and see how it looks. It's used so not sure of condition.

I don't know who that is, but I can Google the name.
Make sure the block is flushed.
As for my current setup, the shroud is a "factory" style but aftermarket so not really sure how good of a seal it has. I'm going to put some foam in between. It does seem to run cooler since adding it, though.
Car is non-AC but upgrading the water pump sounds like a good idea.

does anyone make a shroud for an aftermarket 22" aluminum radiator. Using a non- electric fan set up.

I’ve seen an edelbrock water pump make a big difference in at least two cars. Some people like flowcooler. I haven’t used that one yet. I’ve also had success with a warm runner by just jamming in a bigger radiator. both cars and trucks.

I had my "055" AC Radiator in my 440 '69 R/T recored from a 2 row core to a 3 row High efficiency core (more find/rows per square inch). Never overheated even on the hottest days. A shroud, the proper 7 blade clutch fan and good ignition timing also play a big part....

4-2-2007 3-53-32 PM_0026.JPG

4-2-2007 1-55-12 PM_0016.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back