• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pros and cons of multiple hobby cars

The question should really be how many "OPERATING cars". You can have 100 and that's no problem if they are mothballed, but maintaining multiple cars starts to add up. How much time and $ do you want to spend on this hobby? I have 5 hobby cars, which is too many for me. For example, all of my cars tires are aging out at the same time and I am facing buying 20 tires in the next couple of years. That's 17-20 G's for tires that I will never even wear out (well.... maybe some of the back ones....)

Frankly, I think it's nice to have at least two. When one is begin rebuilt or down for service you can still play with the other one.

Didn't read everything posted here but at one time, I had 12 cars. It actually got to be a chore....plus the wife at the time wanted 'her' cars and she got some. At the time of the maximum cars I had a nephew that needed some guidance and he fell right into the classic car 'needs' and fell in love with them and helped me a lot but the wife didn't like him even though he was part of 'her' family. Long story short......he was the son of a brother of hers that she didn't like. End of story but he's still a car freak but still doesn't have the Cuda he wants.

I only have two and sometimes I think that’s one too many....

I don't have a Wife or kids to say no to me. I have a Firebird I bought in August and bought the Coronet 440 yesterday. Pro is you can drive and enjoy one, while the other is being worked on. Variety is the spice of life. Con is the cost of registration and insurance for two cars. I have to do a Chinese fire drill to move stuff around because I don't have the space.

ESPRIT.jpg 00707_95DIyNoVMKuz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Another easy answer. You have enough cars you want, can afford, take care of, have space for, before you get thrown out of the house.

How much disposable money you have? Cons you will need money and a place to keep them all out of the elements and maintenance them. Pros who doesn’t want more cars to drive or just look at. Personally i bought another house 2.5 hours from me just to build a shop (5000sq) just to work on cars. I have 7 mopars hope to buy more with the cost of the house and shop really could have bought some nice cars, but then were would i keep them.

Auto Transport Service
Back