• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pros & cons of using bedliner on bottom of car?

Man, that must have taken a bazillion man-hours!

I think it took me 6 hours but there wasn't a speck of rust under any of it. In some cases once you were able to get under the edge of it it would peel off in sheets.

Ok so bed liner was used on the a lot of my car. Inner frame rails and where ever I could stick the bed liner gun with the extension wand. 360 degree tip. Used Rust Oleum. If you read the make up of Raptor and other liner's they all have the same make up. Just paying for the advertising. It an epoxy base and it sticks well. Have it it and it don't come off. Put it in the fender well's also. Did my cut off at the fire wall. Did all the quarters with it before welding on and the roof also. In side. Floor pan's-fire wall. Shot it inside the door's. All inner frame rails. First I sprayed epoxy on every thing then the bed liner. Had to thin it down to spray in the gun and two coat's so by thinning it down the sand settled to the bottom of the gun and did not make such a rough texture. But no it is not smooth. The CA. guys have been using it for year's they strain the sand out of it. To tell the truth My car would not be here if it where not for the under coating they put on it at the factory. So each to his own and mine is a driver and not a show car where I will put down mirrors to see the bottom but it look's clean under it. You can see it on the tunnel and fire wall. I do suggest to get the extension wand and spray gun from east wood the other wand just spray's out the end and both worked well held the gun and held the wand and could get and even coat also easy to move the spray around where I wanted it.
IMG_0102 (1).JPG
IMG_0103 (2).JPG

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like a 50/50 preference. Kind of leaning towards just painting as I like that look. Guess I have a big decision to make in the next month....

The paint is great .....my paint was $1100 per gallon.....thus the bedliner choice inside and bottom

I like epoxy primer then Body Schultz. Here is the thing, IF you ever go to sell it you will have some that demand painted show type shiny bottom and others that appreciate the durability of any undercoat. BUT every Dick will always say " wonder what is under that bedliner/undercoat"?????!!
Dcade ago the high end restos were back to OM original. That was the to end. Now everyone wants bc/cc shiney as chit and before long the slant six with a now 6 something modern Hemi rsto/mod will demand more than a perfet restored REAL Hemi Cuda!! ha

I used bedliner on mine, I drive it way to much to want it painted on the bottom. What I did was paint the top of the frame rails then mask it off and sprayed bedliner from there down.

Last edited:
This is SEM's bedliner, sprays pretty nice.
IMG_20200930_190759460.jpg

I also admit to just using bedliner or similiar product on floors and use NO carpet same with inside of roof! Works for me. I drive em, not show em. Make em perfect if ya like!

i have a question for the bedliner guys.. while i like the look is it hard to keep clean? it would seem to me that all the dirt would collect in all the rough nooks and crannys making it almost impossible to keep it clean..

Do you need a Shutz gun to spray that stuff?
The gun comes with it. It was a cheap throwaway gun but did a really nice job. They sell their kits with the bedliner already in a quart container ready to screw onto the gun, all you do is open the container, pour in the gardner, shake it up and spray.

i have a question for the bedliner guys.. while i like the look is it hard to keep clean? it would seem to me that all the dirt would collect in all the rough nooks and crannys making it almost impossible to keep it clean..
Depends on the product. I just bought a truck that already had the bed done, it's very hard and porous, very hard to clean. I use Urethane bedliners for undercoating, it goes on with a texture but it's not porous at all and retains a rubbery feel. Clean up isn't an issue.

East wood sell's a bed liner gun. That is what I got. I did thin the liner product down with Urethane thinner. The sand will not be as thick when spraying. Two coats. Over epoxy primer. It then is a slicker finish and no holes in it to trap dirt or other stuff. Clean with a brush. It cleans up well. The Rust Oleum kit is 100 and you get every thing. But don't use the roller. Spraying is better.

I gotta admit, having the underside painted a lighter color (or even body color) rather than black
has GOT to help when it comes to working on things under there in the future - better visibility
of components, eh?
I know it's pretty dark under Fred when I get under there and the black just soaks up the light from
the work light.

I'm sure it's been said already but if you need to remove it for repairs or modifications, bedliner is damn near impossible to remove.

I'm sure it's been said already but if you need to remove it for repairs or modifications, bedliner is damn near impossible to remove.
Nah, not at all. I came back a year after my car was done and installed a T56 transmission where I had to do extensive metal work and had no problems whatsoever. I used one of those black sponge looking stripper wheels. Again I'll say bedliners are not all equal, Urethane is Urethane, now if your talking about one of the rock hard bedliners then yes it may come off hard but this stuff is a walk in the park.

Auto Transport Service
Back