• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Protective covering on top of speakers

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Reaction score
What did Chrysler use as a protective covering, or is it just not worth worrying about?

IMG_7501.jpeg

It was some kind of paper..
I've used the black material from a house speaker cover. Works/ looks good.

It is needed to keep the dust, bugs and foreign material out of the speaker.

It looks like the paper to cover model airplane wings with only that paper was white.

Glue a tightly wrapped women's black nylon over the speaker cone. Apply adhesive on the outer flanges. Lay the speaker over a tight-flat area of the nylon. Lay a book on the speaker. Let it set for a day. Trim the excess nylon along the outer edges.

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some black fabric that is sheer and used that over the speaker. You
only need a little bit!

When I was installing custom, built-in home theater and stereo systems in new construction, I bought bulk speaker fabric from audio supply houses for many applications. It was the same material used for quality speaker covers. This was pre-internet. It should be easier to find now, although the trend is to have exposed/visible speaker cones for home audio.

Back