• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling my A833

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
So, need to get my A833 trans. out of my 69 roadrunner to seal replacement. Question is will I have to pull the shifter out of the car or can I just unbolt it from the trannie and work the trans. past it.

Ok. Good information. So, I guess I will have to pull the console also. Darn.

Ok. Good information. So, I guess I will have to pull the console also. Darn.
Well that right there is a perfect example of why you need to include more information in a question ! Nobody would have guessed a console in a '69 runner!

You could undo all the levers, unbolt the shifter mechanism and with a bungee cord around the shifter knob over to the steering wheel hold it out of the way and then drop the transmission out. It's just SO much easier to set up a shifter with the mechanism on the transmission before putting it back in.

Take the two screws out of the console top plate, pop it out.. turn the top plate sideways and pop the handle off with a 20thou shim. Or unbolt it if not OE correct..

Well that right there is a perfect example of why you need to include more information in a question !
Eggszachery.

1709929801601.png

The Charlatans make it easy by knowing all the facts beforehand. :lol:

I've never been able to get a trans out without taking the shifter out completely.
Not enough room to pull the trans away from the bellhousing, or even spin the trans over to get the shifter in a different position.
Not even with the engine at an angle.

These later b-bodies must have all sorts of room.

OOP'S. Sorry did not mention the console. My bad. It is an old age thing, I guess. Fixing to tackle it as soon as the motor is all back together after replacing the driver's side head that had a crack developed below the exhaust manifold. Pulled both head so I could paint the shock towers. After paint started to peel off them around where the shock mounted through it. That is just about got it all back together. Now on to the transmission.

So, update. Now having a problem with getting my shift handle out of the hurst mechanism. It is the old style with the pinch plates to hold the handle in. Tried the feeler gauge down by the handle on the drives side but it just does not come out. Any help is appreciated.

It is sometimes a bugger to get the feeler gauge down past the bump out. Push down firmly while moving the feeler gauge back and forth. It will go down enough eventually.

Update. Got the shift handle out by putting a 20 thou. feeler gage on both sides then got my slide hammer and gave it a few taps and it came right out. Thanks for the info. Blue.

Auto Transport Service
Back