• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission side cover removal

dcala84141

Local time
9:09 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1968 roadrunner 4-speed car
need to remove the side cover and was wondering if this can be done without removing the trans. It’s an A833
Thx.

Of course it can. But what's your reason for wanting to remove it?

can not power shift car.The trans was totally rebuilt with new racing synchros. The hurst shifter was also rebuilt with new parts
I told my issue with an old timer who raced a hemi dart and he asked me if a particular pin inside the shifter spring which control the two detent balls
if the pin is missing the 3-4 shifter detent will interfere with the 1-2 shifter detent and make it impossible to power shift. Around town normal shifting is no problem.So I want to check and see if the pin is there, but I want to avoid pulling the trans if possible. I’m 73

If any of that detent stuff is missing would wouldn't be able to **** at all. If you're able to shift driving around town then "that" is not the problem.

"racing syncros" has me wondering just what you have there. Generally a "racing syncro" has every second tooth (or more) removed and the brass rings omitted. Not recommended for street use at all since shifting is extremely harsh. You'd definitely know it if those mods were done !!

How are you "powershifting" the car ...
1) full throttle, punch the clutch and shift
OR
2) no clutch - back of the throttle and shift
???

Since you have to drain the trans to do anything, I'd start there and look for metal chips and or brass filings in the oil.

I truly doubt any of the detent parts are missing. Once installed they can't possibly fall out and if they weren't installed it would have been immediately evident.

the guy who told me about this is an well known 83 yr. Old guru
He showed me on his work bench with an assembled shift side cover what happens when this pin is missing

This is the pin
its very possible it is missing
will know today one way or the other

image.jpg

The only way I know to power shift is pedal to the metal kick the clutch and shift at the same time
It worked for me hundreds of times back in the day

Has your bell housing been dialed in? Along with the flywheel being parallel to the block?

You should be able to get the side cover off. Note where the screws come from as they’re not all the same.

That pin may be your problem. It looks kinda like a leftover bearing so some guys leave it out.

the guy who told me about this is an well known 83 yr. Old guru
He showed me on his work bench with an assembled shift side cover what happens when this pin is missing
Well if your so sure your 83 year old friend nailed your problem he also should of told you if you could do it in the car or not. If this shifts fine under normal driving I seriously doubt that thats the problem. My bets you have a clutch drag issue. What bell and what clutch are you using?

Yes I dialed in the lakewood scatter shield bell housing using offset dowl pins took awhile

Well if your so sure your 83 year old friend nailed your problem he also should have told you if you could do it in the car or not. If this shifts fine under normal driving I seriously doubt that thats the problem. My bets you have a clutch drag issue. What bell and what clutch are you using?
using a Lakewood scatter shield and McCloud diapham pressure plate and clutch good to over 600 horse I was told
I thought about clutch drag, but I changed clutch fork, Zbar,clutch push rod, and clutch adjuster rod

Power shifting with ANY syncros seems iffy to me.

Do you still have the over center spring on the pedal?

More details, what rpms are we talking about? Won't go into gear when you push the lever and it is stiff, or, at what rpm level? Any excessive vibration? Using the clutch, plate departure number, or going commando?

Problem solved!
It was as simple - just moved the bench seat back one notched
but I’m just very rusty its Been 50yrs. Very late on the lights, and hit the rev limiter twice at 6,300
I have the video, but very embarrassed

Auto Transport Service
Back