• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling my engine

Steve K

Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
It's been quite a while since I've done any extensive car work so, I'm looking for some advice. I am pulling the engine (383) out of my 73 Charger to have it rebuilt. Do I pull the Tranny out with it or should I drop the transmission first? Working out of my garage so no lift, but I will have a hoist. Last time I did this was on a 74 about 30 years ago -- And I don't remember what I did! Any help on the steps is appreciated!

Auto or 4 speed? Depending on your preference you can yank the trans and engine together, but auto is easy to yank from below if you get the car high enough and use a trans jack under the pan. If you have a leveler on your engine hoist and a buddy, it is way easier to do them together. If you are using the old screw driver in the chain method on the hoist, pulling them seperate is easier in my opinion. I always install my 4 speed and engine together as the splines can be a real PITA to line up under the car, especially with a new clutch and pressure plate where the splines are fresh. I prefer to fit them together outside car then drop them in. I am however going to do my first install from underneath the car on my Runner when I put that back together.

With no hoist it is easier to do them together. That's if the oil pan doesn't hang way down and interfere with the K frame. Throw a blanket up on the windshield. Have some one sit there and hold the trans down with their feet. Keeps it off the firewall. With I hoist I always do them separate.
Doug

Are you also rebuilding the transmission? If not, unbolt it from the engine and just pull the engine. It's a PIA to pull them bolted together without getting the front end high in the sky! 440'

I agree with 440, unless your wanting to freshen up the trans also just pull the engine separate.
Good luck :thumbsup:

If you have the room and a good floor jack, you can lift the rear of the car as you pull the engine/trans assy with your hoist.

It's a 727 automatic. The Transmission is in OK shape and I was probably not going to do any work on it at this time. I can get an engine leveler to help maneuver it on the hoist. I also have a trans jack.

Automatic just leave it in the car. Way easier to yank just motor if your not touching the trans. I use a big rachet strap under trans bell housing to the torsion bars on my 4 speeds if I leave the trans in. not sure if it'll work on the auto that way to support the nose of trans with no engine in car.

Well I was thinking I could support the transmission with the Trans Jack

Btw, if the engine is original its a 400.

I'd pull the engine/trans as a unit.
It ain't so easy lining up and attaching the tranny while lying on the ground.
Plus with the tranny out minornservice can be easily done. Fluid/filter and input output seals. Plus you can change the torque converter easily if inclined.

Btw, if the engine is original its a 400.

I'd pull the engine/trans as a unit.
It ain't so easy lining up and attaching the tranny while lying on the ground.
Plus with the tranny out minornservice can be easily done. Fluid/filter and input output seals. Plus you can change the torque converter easily if inclined.
It's a 383 from 1968... I put in there in 1990 (Last time I did any engine pulling!)

It's a 383 from 1968... I put in there in 1990 (Last time I did any engine pulling!)
2.jpg

IMO the only way to do it...

.....for me personally, I went over the HF and got the 2 ton jobber.....was on sale for like $150 bucks. I have the three bay garage and had to pluck it from the side. Went like a snap. Safety first. Get the best tools you can afford, no crushed car...hands....or feet.

.....for me personally, I went over the HF and got the 2 ton jobber.....was on sale for like $150 bucks. I have the three bay garage and had to pluck it from the side. Went like a snap. Safety first. Get the best tools you can afford, no crushed car...hands....or feet.
I was going to get that hoist from HF, Then saw some bad reviews about it. Might be easier for me to just rent one.

I do this by myself. engine/ trans bolted together, lift and roll the car out from under it instead of yanking on the hoist. lift, roll as necessary. I install them in the same way. super smooth and easy.

Who makes the engine/ transmission stand like in this picture? Thanks
I bought it from Year One back around 2006. The part number on the invoice is RC426
Glad I grabbed it, it’s been awesome to work with. I’m even contemplating firing up the engine while it’s on the dolly.
FYI this engine/trans dolly will be for sale when I'm done, along with the front and rear sub frame/dollies built for B bodies..

Last edited:
Ok, thanks!
I'm trying to remember the last time I pulled an engine...about the same time, but it was on a moorsickle!
On cars...late 70s?

Auto Transport Service
Back