Push Button 727 upgrades ?

Engine, Trans & Driveline

1. rustytoolss

rustytoolss Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:54 PM
    What upgrades can be done to a 1962 Push Button 727 ? I also have a 1969-1971 ? PTKD 727 that I can rob for parts (if they will fit / and are an upgrade) This is just a driver / no race car here !

2. Lefty71

Lefty71 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Lotsa stuff can be done, but some assemblies need to stay together to keep you out of trouble. For example, you can upgrade to a modern converter (post '66) or even use the one from your other trans, but in order to do so you would need the front clutch/oil pump assy. with reactor support and the input shaft, just to gain the right spline count. I would recommend picking up Tom Hand's or the late great Carl Monroe's 727 rebuild books because much of this need is detailed in both books with great photos of the differences in eras.

HTH, Lefty71

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • dvw

dvw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      1971 and up pump, input shaft, and front drum will gain you the wide bushing drum and current torque converter compatibility. 1970 and earlier will work but has a narrow front drum bushing. Make sure the front drum has the snap ring located for 4 clutch frictions, not only 3. Tune the valve body up with a TF2 kit and add a 518 deep pan from E Bay. You'll have to fab or purchase a deep filter extension. I use the Alto green high energy friction kit from TransPartsOnline. Make sure the kick down linkage is right. This set up will take an easy 600hp.
      Doug

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
      • Like Like x 1
      • Ron H

Ron H FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        11:54 AM
        I installed a shift kit years ago and later a newer vin TQ with the engine rebuild. Better, but as posted, there's a lot of other things that could be done...I'd like to do someday. Too many other plans in the way. Adding the kit made a nice difference with quicker shifting.

• rustytoolss

rustytoolss Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        You seem to know a lot about PB 727s. Was the an issuse of different sized converter pilot hub sizes in the early 60's TorqueFlites ? That's funny 600hp, my 318 poly would be proud to hear that :)

• dvw

dvw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        This is quote from an earlier post; Earlier crank pilots on SB were smaller.
        You need a small spacer, it's described in different literature, like Tom Condran's book called "Mad about Mopars". He calls it an adapter ring. To match any pre '68 LA engine to a later year tranny you need this. It's a simple sleeve with outside diameter of 1.81" and inside diameter of 1.55", half an inch thick. They used to be available direct from Chrysler, but not anymore.

Apparerently Wildcat Wrecking has them available. 503-668-7786 www.wildcatmopars.com

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • 69plywgn

69plywgn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          dvw: Your inbox is full. I want to start a private conversation regarding my '62 Savoy Suburban. Thanks.

• dvw

dvw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          Inbox has been emptied.
          Doug

• 69plywgn

69plywgn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          Doug, I sent a PM this morning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.