• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any performance upgrades for Pushbutton trans with F&R pumps ?

rustytoolss

Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any low buck performance upgrades that can be done to my 1962 PB trans (which has both Front and Rear pumps) ? Things like larger drums, 4 gear planetary etc...or does the fact of 2 pumps just make most interal updates not possible ? I have a book about 727 upgrades, but there in not much information about the units with 2 pumps.

Just wondering if there are any low buck performance upgrades that can be done to my 1962 PB trans (which has both Front and Rear pumps) ? Things like larger drums, 4 gear planetary etc...or does the fact of 2 pumps just make most interal updates not possible ? I have a book about 727 upgrades, but there in not much information about the units with 2 pumps.
I can tell you that there are many upgrades to these transmissions. Mine has a later input shaft for more strength and more converter choices as well as a little known trick of having 6 or more clutch packs on the rear because of that rear pump. Makes for an awesome 3rd gear charge down the track.

I can tell you that there are many upgrades to these transmissions. Mine has a later input shaft for more strength and more converter choices as well as a little known trick of having 6 or more clutch packs on the rear because of that rear pump. Makes for an awesome 3rd gear charge down the track.
Good friend had a transmission shop ( he passed in 2020) . I remember him saying early front pumps have a narrow pump bushing, and that a later pump with a wide bushing might be possible..and you would have to get a converter with 24 splines. I have a core 727 from like 1969 -1971 ( the core tranny has the part throttle downshift valve..which would not work on my PB 727) don't know if any parts from the core would be useable as upgrade parts.

I would recommend that you PM DVW. He is a expert Torqueflite man and not too far away (Detroit area).
Mike

For street, and keeping the stock converter? If so, an inexpensive Transgo shift kit and good quality master rebuild kit will make a notable seat of the pants improvement with no significant hard part changes. Easily good for 450 hp or so.

Auto Transport Service
Back