• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

push button trans

flatheadgary

Local time
9:56 PM
Reaction score
tell me what is involved in changing a push button trans to a regular shifting trans.

There is a conversion kit to adapt push buttons to modern 727s . Dont remember who makes it offhand . Just a thought.

There are three main differences. Two cables, one for park, one for e-brake. The rear mount is different. The output has a flange instead of a slip yoke* not in ‘65.

You’ll need a new cross member. New shifter (unless there’s a kit as referred to above) and new driveshaft. Any particular reason for changing it?

67 and up converters are a different spline. You'll need a trans, new shifter, drive shaft, converter, trans mount, speedo cable. Need to modify the cross member for the correct location of the new mount. If your car current has reverse lights the harness will need to be extended to the trans from the current shifter location. Why do want to swap? I race my car with a push button, 9.0@150.
Doug

Unless your case is cracked in half, there isn't nothing that can't be fixed. Otherwise, all above is good advice. The case is different for the push button cable, so that's the start of the swap.

i should of told you it's not in car yet. i got a 413 for my '63 belvedere and it had this trans on it. i have a '76 727 i can use but i was wondering whether i should change it or scrap it. thanks for the replies too.

You can swap the input shaft, pump, and front drum from the 76 into the push button trans. Then current converters will fit.
Doug

oh crap! i also forgot to tell you i have already swapped in a '69 318 so i got rid of the push button stuff. i would probably use the '63 trans in something else.

oh crap! i also forgot to tell you i have already swapped in a '69 318 so i got rid of the push button stuff. i would probably use the '63 trans in something else.

A bit confused now but I think you got the idea and know the differences and challenges with changing it.

Auto Transport Service
Back