• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pushrod to Roller Rocker geometry?

I for one would be very interested to see the sweep pattern of the Trick Flow heads and matched roller rockers. The OP has said he will post pics at some stage.
Hopefully they will be OK.
They were only talked about when we were ready to purchase so I used the Edelbrock Performer RPM.
Keen to see if the shaft relocation mentioned is an improvement.

The fact that the OP has Trick Flow heads is a benefit because they raised the stands over where the factory and other aftermarket manufacturers are located. It will need much less correction.

So Trick Flow has altered the design of their heads to make it work better with roller rockers?
Are they the only ones?
Since my r/h (906) head has a small crack in the valve guide body (part of the head itself) i was thinking for future upgrades to go with aftermarket heads instead to also benefit from the lighter aluminium and better port flow, if Trick Flow makes things more easy that would be an ideal choice.

So Trick Flow has altered the design of their heads to make it work better with roller rockers?
Are they the only ones?
Since my r/h (906) head has a small crack in the valve guide body (part of the head itself) i was thinking for future upgrades to go with aftermarket heads instead to also benefit from the lighter aluminium and better port flow, if Trick Flow makes things more easy that would be an ideal choice.
They have moved the stands which makes the geometry closer. Remember, no single position can be right for everyone, so while they are closer, they could still use some adjustment. Just not as much as other heads, all else being equal.

I have done back to back dyno testing and saw an extra 600 rpm, and 46 hp from correcting the geometry on a small block. And, it was on one of those low (.530") lift applications that don't gain much from making it "dead nuts". I would have to ask what the definition of "dead nuts" is, which someone would have to know in order to get there, and a centered pattern isn't it.
Certainly building to the best of our ability is something we all strive for. For sure checking everything during a build is worth while. Being most of us are not professional engine builders there is always the question. What do we really need? There is a budget for most. So the improvement must be weighed vs cost. Then what is perfect geometry? Mid lift at 90 degrees? Or a different theory? When max lift is gained by a change, then lift is lost elsewhere. Which is really correct? In the case above something had to be really screwed up to gain 46 hp in geometry of a mild .530" lift motor. And I'm curious. Maybe I can learn something here. I'm assuming the 600 rpm gain is where the 46 hp came from. How did a geometry change allow a usable 600 rpm increase? Before your kit was developed what were the options? Raise the shafts with shims. Or to lower you had to mill the pedestals off and relocate the shafts on blocks or stands. So until recently Mopar engines ran with the geometry they were built with depending on what rocker arm and lift it had, Correct?
Doug

Last edited:
I for one would be very interested to see the sweep pattern of the Trick Flow heads and matched roller rockers. The OP has said he will post pics at some stage.
Hopefully they will be OK.
They were only talked about when we were ready to purchase so I used the Edelbrock Performer RPM.
Keen to see if the shaft relocation mentioned is an improvement.

I’ll get this done this week and post pics. I appreciate everyone’s comments and advice on this thread. I understand people will have different opinions and I hope I didn’t start a **** storm of fighting. Just trying to get this completed and make sure my $15k doesn’t kill itself within 100 miles.

Are they the only ones?

my one piece of advice with trick flow is order waaayyyy in advance. Online they are all out of stock and I waited 6-7 months for mine.

Certainly building to the best of our ability is something we all strive for. For sure checking everything during a build is worth while. Being most of us are not professional engine builders there is always the question. What do we really need? There is a budget for most. So the improvement must be weighed vs cost. Then what is perfect geometry? Mid lift at 90 degrees? Or a different theory? When max lift is gained by a change, then lift is lost elsewhere. Which is really correct? In the case above something had to be really screwed up to gain 46 hp in geometry of a mild .530" lift motor. And I'm curious. Maybe I can learn something here. I'm assuming the 600 rpm gain is where the 46 hp came from. How did a geometry change allow a usable 600 rpm increase? Before your kit was developed what were the options? Raise the shafts with shims. Or to lower you had to mill the pedestals off and relocate the shafts on blocks or stands. So until recently Mopar engines ran with the geometry they were built with depending on what rocker arm and lift it had, Correct?
Doug
Doug,
I'll try to address your questions in order, and the best I can.

First, what is needed. You spoke of budgets, and not being professional builders. It's stunning how many non-professionals want to build there own engines, presumably to save money in most cases, and then when they get to the end of the build, ie rockers and pushrods, they decide to skimp because it is costing way more than they imagined it would. At that point, the budget vs quality issue goes right out the window. They have the choice of just slapping it together, or spending an additional $150-$350 to address the geometry, and reduce failure risk. Unfortunately, too many want to save the money and end up damaging a $10,000+ motor in the process. There just isn't any logic in that. I have told a lot of people, "If you don't want to properly set up a roller rocker, don't bother putting it on the motor". That doesn't sell anything, but it's the truth.

Improvement vs cost. How much measured improvement is had with ARP bolts in a motor. They aren't cheap, yet they are put in so called budget motors all the time and don't make an ounce of power. And who's to say that motor wouldn't have been perfectly fine with stock bolts? ARP bolts/studs are used for reliability, and the same thing applies to rocker geometry. The difference is, the geometry can also improve performance, which a fastener generally will not.

What is perfect geometry? Whichever method most accurately transfers the cam lobe information to the valve. The cam gives the orders, and the rockers job is to relay the message. Any rocker motion that deviates from a straight line input is wasted motion. Because the rocker inherently has a radial motion, it can't be eliminated entirely, so the best geometry, on both the valve side, and the pushrod side, will be the least amount of non-linear movement possible. That's where the math comes in. The pushrod side is built into the rocker design, and unfortunately, we are stuck with it unless a custom rocker is built. That's what I do when I need the ultimate in valvetrain efficiency and stability. Also, anyone setting up the valvetrain for max lift is asking for serious instability. The maximum lift possible will happen when the rocker centerline is perpendicular to the valve centerline (zero sideways motion). That is also the point where velocity is the highest. The cam has deceleration designed into the lobe, but if the rocker velocity is at its max, the deceleration in the lobe is not enough to keep the valvetrain stable. This is why you hear the complaints of quick lobes not carrying rpm, and old school slow lobes would rev better.

The .530" lift motor was not any more screwed up than most other similar builds. Stock head with stock length valves and a 1.6 ratio HS copy aluminum rocker. The testing was done on the same dyno, on the same day. After the baseline pulls, the correction kit was installed, along with the necessary longer pushrods, and within 30 minutes the next pulls gave us the results. There were no other changes. The power was slightly better all the way through the pull, but the 46 hp was observed at the shift point rpm, which was 600 rpm above where the baseline pulls saw instability start. It was actually clean through 800 rpm higher, where we stopped the pull, but the torque curve was falling fast and the biggest improvement was at 600. The correction stabilized the valvetrain by moving the peak velocity away from peak lift, allowing the additional rpm. I might add, this was a [email protected]" hydraulic flat tappet cam, which brings up another point. Hydraulic lifters are blamed for being unstable, when many times it's a geometry issue instead. They will pump up instantly when valve float occurs, where a solid will carry until float is so severe it bounces the valve off the seat.

Before the kits, the focus was on centering the pattern on the valve tip. This was copied from the old racing tech that was used for ductile iron (non-roller) rockers. Somewhere along the way it was applied to roller rockers, which couldn't be more incorrect. Even the guys who were milling of the pedestals and making new stands were mostly just trying to center the pattern. That was viable info when using stock parts and engineering, but when things are no longer stock, stuff gets messed up in a hurry. Consider this, stock being a stock head, with non-roller rockers, a stock shaft position, stock length valves, and at best, about .470" net valve lift. How many performance engines meet that criteria anymore? If they do, they will likely not have any geometry related issues, but they won't set the world on fire, performance-wise, either. You mentioned Mopars running with the geometry they were built with, but any change to the above criteria means that the geometry isn't what it was built with.

I appreciate you asking questions and being open minded. I am open to learning as well, but in all the time I've been doing this work, I haven't yet been given a good explanation of how a different way is better. I've heard all the parroting of what someone may have read in a book once, but no solid original thought. If someone were to explain the benefit of a different way, I'll be all ears. It might help me build a better motor.

Quote;
So the best geometry, on both the valve side, and the pushrod side, will be the least amount of non-linear movement possible. That's where the math comes in. The pushrod side is built into the rocker design, and unfortunately, we are stuck with it unless a custom rocker is built.

So if I understand correctly since the pushrod side is something that most live with it is the valve side only being addressed. The smallest sweep having the rocker arm C/L 90 degrees to the valve C/L at mid lift. Assuming stock geometry is set -up for lets say .450" (or less). Wouldn't the shaft location need to drop? Now if using a roller tip that wouldn't be true until the lift was much greater.

Quote;
The correction stabilized the valvetrain by moving the peak velocity away from peak lift, allowing the additional rpm.

This is a interesting point that to be honest I had not thought about. In the case you stated I'm assuming the geometry is such that the rocker is gaining ratio at peak lift accelerating the valve as it goes over the nose creating loft?
Here to learn.
Doug

Last edited:
Excuse the grade 1 level drawring lol.. but this is what I take away from this discussion. And I like it.
I knew this was an issue years ago as it was spoken about, but did not give enough credence to the possibility of a performance gain. The next motor I'm putting together is a 62 MW head with Crane gold 1.5s. Although it worked well into the 7-7400 rpm area,, (zero valvetrain failures, few years bracket racing, .565 cam,,) this time it will have a fast ramp custom sft around .615 lift.
Mike, have you made moved pedestal mounts for this particular setup?
20211128_165614.jpg

Intake pattern first, exhaust pattern second. Done with the trick flow adjustable pushrod.
6FE191B5-1E7A-47D4-8356-B0CE00DC5417.jpeg

0B137EE1-A870-40EF-A571-F16A92C7AAFE.jpeg

Looks a little similar to mine, but mine was more in the center, i came from a .070" sweep to .035-.040" sweep after correcting the geometry.

IMG_4191.jpg

Steve009
I would run that - that pattern looks good. Trickflow and HS seem to be fine combined.

Quote;
So the best geometry, on both the valve side, and the pushrod side, will be the least amount of non-linear movement possible. That's where the math comes in. The pushrod side is built into the rocker design, and unfortunately, we are stuck with it unless a custom rocker is built.

So if I understand correctly since the pushrod side is something that most live with it is the valve side only being addressed. The smallest sweep having the rocker arm C/L 90 degrees to the valve C/L at mid lift. Assuming stock geometry is set -up for lets say .450" (or less). Wouldn't the shaft location need to drop? Now if using a roller tip that wouldn't be true until the lift was much greater.

Quote;
The correction stabilized the valvetrain by moving the peak velocity away from peak lift, allowing the additional rpm.

This is a interesting point that to be honest I had not thought about. In the case you stated I'm assuming the geometry is such that the rocker is gaining ratio at peak lift accelerating the valve as it goes over the nose creating loft?
Here to learn.
Doug
You're on track, but a roller rocker acts on the valvetrain like a longer valve is in the head. That's why the shaft has to be raised, and the geometry is closer with more lift. Unfortunately, you can't get enough lift to get the geometry right without running a longer valve, which means raising the shaft even more. A stock or non-roller rocker on the other hand, would need the shaft lowered with more lift. I have T&D make rockers to my spec when I want/need the pushrod side correct also.

The rocker is not gaining ratio, it's just at full speed when perpendicular, but is inducing deceleration as it moves away from the perpendicular line. That allows the valve to slow at full lift as the rocker reverses motion, increasing stability. Imagine running at a brick wall and not slowing down before turning around and returning to the starting point. Better wear some padding.

Excuse the grade 1 level drawring lol.. but this is what I take away from this discussion. And I like it.
I knew this was an issue years ago as it was spoken about, but did not give enough credence to the possibility of a performance gain. The next motor I'm putting together is a 62 MW head with Crane gold 1.5s. Although it worked well into the 7-7400 rpm area,, (zero valvetrain failures, few years bracket racing, .565 cam,,) this time it will have a fast ramp custom sft around .615 lift.
Mike, have you made moved pedestal mounts for this particular setup? View attachment 1200421
You got the gist of it. And yes, I have a set of 63 MWs in the shop now getting the full treatment, including custom rockers.

Thank you. I started doing some looking at mine..it looks like it has lazy outward lift at the start of lift fulcrum. Now I see why the rockers need to be custom.. a bit shorter as the rocker gets higher.. correct?
20211128_183927.jpg
20211128_184252.jpg

Intake pattern first, exhaust pattern second. Done with the trick flow adjustable pushrod.
View attachment 1200431
View attachment 1200430
It's not off by a lot, but being a Trick Flow dealer, I am familiar with how much correction they normally take. You would have a much lower chance of failure than with a different head, but they can still use some tweaking.

It's not off by a lot, but being a Trick Flow dealer, I am familiar with how much correction they normally take. You would have a much lower chance of failure than with a different head, but they can still use some tweaking.

so that current pattern is not acceptable to run?

Years ago I built this 440 with the Trick Flow 240 heads and the recommended Harland Sharp rockers. The same geometry as your heads and rockers. It (the engine) turned out fine. At that time I wasn't up to speed on better rocker geometry. If I had to do it all over again I would probably have had B3RE build a relocation kit back then. Am I now going to tear down the build and redo it? Nope. 91 octane pump gas, this pull 590 HP and 555 TQ. Subsequent pull 564 LB-FT @ 3,700 rpm and 589 HP @ 5,900 rpm. 550+ LB-FT from 3,500 rpm to 5,500 rpm.

I've not built an engine for myself in the past years that has not had a rocker shaft relocation kit on it.

Last edited:
That's entirely up to you, but like Jim (IQ52) mentioned in his post, once we know it can be better, we won't build a motor without making it right. I like to be within .010" of where the shaft should be. If you are off by .060" it may not seem like a lot, and relative to some other engines it's not, but it's six times greater than where I would like to be. We can't know exactly where you need to be without some measurements and doing some math. If I had to guess, it would be somewhere between .060" and .100" in height( to minimize the sweep), and the same in offset ( to center the roller better). Just an educated guess, though. The math gives you what Weitse showed in his pics. Narrow and centered is the goal, narrow having the priority, and that will depend on lift and rocker length. More lift, more sweep. Shorter rocker, more sweep, and vice versa. This is why you can't simply go by a visual cue. You have to know what it should be first, so you know how close (or far away) you are.

Auto Transport Service
Back