• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting an addition on the ol' dome home.

Nice have fun filling the new shop !! Only took me 5 years to fill my 26x40 shop lol! :headbang:

You need to add a nipple to the roof to give it the look of the" Booby Trap".

3646636477_b3326b8a42_b.jpg

i was thinking about shaping the addition like a sandwedge and painting the dome white. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Nice have fun filling the new shop !! Only took me 5 years to fill my 26x40 shop lol! :headbang:

damn, what i would do for a 26X40 shop!! my little 16x32 is going to fill up quickly, but it's better than my current 16x19. with my 18' long car, i need to decide if i want to squeeze by the front of the car or back before i pull in lol.

A few progress pix. Foundation done, slab poured and sticks just starting up.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

That's great HT . . . exciting times as the house gets expanded ! ! ! That is going to look so cool ! ! !

You going to lose you smiley face ( the two windows are the eyes . . . )

That's great HT . . . exciting times as the house gets expanded ! ! ! That is going to look so cool ! ! !

You going to lose you smiley face ( the two windows are the eyes . . . )

Thanks, 67, yeah, we here at the 413 household are pretty stoked! Yep, that smiley face is gone, but we get a new one on the addition, so all is good in the world. :)

Hey HT413 . . . I'm dying over here waiting for further updates on your Really Cool house and addition . . . hope all is going well ! !

Could we have an update - please ?? ( smile )

Lol, conv, ask and you shall receive!

New front entrance was cut in and the roof is beginning to be framed. Funny, I figured the framing would be done by now. They're working everyday (weather permitting) so I'm not complaining, it's just that all my experience comes from large scale construction projects. Guess I'm just not used to 2 man crews, lol.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks HT413 . . . cool stuff ( even if it is going slow ) . . . they're making progress . . . LOVE your house . . . wish I had one like it ! ! !

Ok, so the GC had to fire his framing crew. New one on the job and FINALLY we are getting some decent production. All this in one day.

So I thought with all the members we have throughout the world, I thought it'd be cool to compare our local building practices. So framing wise, our framing is typically 16" on center, or about 0.5m on center for all wood structural walls, floor and roof framing (pretty much standard throughout the USA for residential construction).

image.jpgimage.jpg

My house is 16" centers and so are the walls of my 28x52 shop but the roof of the shop is built on site truss (sorta) on 24" centers. Didn't get any pics to speak of since we framed it all in two days and by the time each day was done, I was too tired to think about taking pics and my X didn't think much about anything.....

Looks great.

A lot of building codes vary in structure due to snow load.

Great to see progress! Amazing how many plain old crappy contractor's are out there. Nice to hear you got a decent replacement crew.

What is the freeze-line in NJ? In Texas it's around 12". What did you use to seal the cender block?

What is the freeze-line in NJ? In Texas it's around 12". What did you use to seal the cender block?

Our frost line is 36" in NJ. Hmmm, let me see if I have a pic of the sealant.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic of the foundation sealant. First they parge the block with cement then they apply a tar based sealant. Sorry the pic is sideways, I uploaded it 3 times and every time it is sideways. Only happens on my iPhone.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great.

A lot of building codes vary in structure due to snow load.

Absolutely. I hope some of our friends from Finland or Sweden chime in, I'd love to see what they use.

Also, here in NJ, code requires exterior walls of heated spaces to be framed with at least 2"x4" lumber. Minesota requires 2"x6" studs (according to a buddy who lives out there). This is to allow for enough wall insulation.

How about you guys?

- - - Updated - - -

My house is 16" centers and so are the walls of my 28x52 shop but the roof of the shop is built on site truss (sorta) on 24" centers. Didn't get any pics to speak of since we framed it all in two days and by the time each day was done, I was too tired to think about taking pics and my X didn't think much about anything.....

Yeah makes sense I'm sure you don't expect as much snow in your parts. Anyone live in the Buffalo, NY area? Heck, they probably spec tree trunks for roof rafters lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 255
My house is a bastard, we built the main part of the house 16" on center 2" X 6" with the trusses 4' on center 2"X10s" with purlins spanning the space to provide enough space for air flow and allot of insulation in the upstairs (story in a half). The living room is 6' on center 5"X7"s (16" on center 2"X6" filling the gaps) and an open 20' ceiling with trusses 6' on center and rafters in between every truss. Don't ask me who dreamed this all up haha.

In Mass, we have a 48" frost line.

And the way they do insulation is each wall has to have a specific average R value, not sure what it is. But you can get away with 2x4s if you don't have too many windows and/or use spray foam. I've seen walls with lots of windows have six inch studs and spray foam.

I think Northern Dave's frost line is 6 or 8 feet! I think is was mentioned in his garage build.

Fixed pic . . .

ht413pic.jpg

Hope that the progress is going well HT413 ! ! !

Auto Transport Service
Back