• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

quarter panel installation question

3sloppydogs

Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do the quarter patch panels on the coronet. So my question is you guys that do body repair do you prefer butt welding the seam or welding a flange and why?

I think most prefer butt welding. There's more of a chance for moisture to get inside a flange and rust from the inside.

I've heard that but that brings the question of the flange is there is more steel to work with.

Flange welding makes more sense from practicality. But the But weld is far better since their is less likely to see it from heat expansion during hot weather a flange weld will show thru.

Last edited:
Just take your time with the butt welding process to prevent warping the panel. Allow the weld to cool, and alternate the spots you weld.

butt weld it....... cool each tack with an air blower

tacks.jpg

20220906_230101.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see a flange working on anything but a flat piece of metal......the flange would have to shrink or stretch to maintain the shape of a curved panel........ seems like a lot of pain in the *** for a subpar repair

Butt weld. It's all about the cut and fit. Be patient when you weld it.

If you use lead to fill which is far better then bondi file it with flat file soaked in transmission fluid to keep file clean and no dust in a cross hatch

You can use lead. but the fumes will reduce the number of brain cells that you have! Use pure tin
and an acid flux to seal any pin holes you may have missed with the welder. I used an old-time copper
ended soldering iron and a propane torch to solder my eight foot long Butt weld shut. You can find one
on Flea-Bay.

Your over worried about lead and using tin only is not a solution. When using lead you clean it really good then you use a combo of etch and tin to prep surface. Once you tin the surface you use a rose bud torch and apply a 70/30 blend of lead bar using a wood paddle to surface. Once this is done you never grind lead. Sure some idiots will do it. The correct method is use a long file dipped in transmission fluid and file the lead.

Lead is the best solution if your willing too learn. Should you want to try this go to johnson company for the supplies.

Last edited:
When I worked at my job at G.E., every now and then we had a job that came in that contained lead.
We were asked to work on it on a voluntary basis. When we would agree, we would be sent to the
company clinic for a blood sample for a base-line, and then after we were done, another sample to
see if we ingested any while working on it. Mind you, we always wore resperators and Nitrile gloves.
Also we would wear Tyvek disposable cover-alls. I worked in Nuke plants and all kinds of heavy industry
and the only thing that really bothered me was lead. You don't know the damage until it's too late.
When you heat it and inhale the fumes, guess what? Right into the blood stream. No thank you!

When I worked at my job at G.E., every now and then we had a job that came in that contained lead.
We were asked to work on it on a voluntary basis. When we would agree, we would be sent to the
company clinic for a blood sample for a base-line, and then after we were done, another sample to
see if we ingested any while working on it. Mind you, we always wore resperators and Nitrile gloves.
Also we would wear Tyvek disposable cover-alls. I worked in Nuke plants and all kinds of heavy industry
and the only thing that really bothered me was lead. You don't know the damage until it's too late.
When you heat it and inhale the fumes, guess what? Right into the blood stream. No thank you!
You make a good point but the limited exposure plus respirator negates the risk. Being a large company employee I’ve been exposed to a large list of controlled materials. Lead exposure is xcelerated when it’s over heated At plus 575 f. Why would you not use proper ventilation I don’t know.

Your last sentence brings up a good point. Everyone should use proper safety gear or PPE. It is amazing that even seasoned guys don't wear safety glasses when grinding, I'll tell them you have two eyes and they don't grow back. They grumble away and put glasses on.
Guys know they should wear safety shoes or impact gloves or any of that and won't. I don't get it

Auto Transport Service
Back