• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question about 68 4 speeds consoles

Nacho-RT74

Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
A friend of mine found locally a 68 4 speeds GTX. it has practically missed EVERYTHING, I have helped on get the correct grill ( it had a 69 satellite full front trim ), emblems and small stuff. Still needs to get the correct 68 headlight bezels, and loooot of stuff more, including the correct buckets. Damn, this thing it was really badly used. Mostly sure will take around 5 to 7 years ( with luck ) to get it completed on at least decent conditions, not show, specially due the money exchange restrictions we have in Venezuela

It had a 318/904, but we found locally a correct 68 HP 440 for it... still need to find the tranny, but there are some around, really expensive though.

He can make the body job, but For a while we are trying to get trim parts. Right now focusing on console.

What parts are required to get a full 4 speeds console setup ? I have noted:
-Plastic console.
-side carpets.
-it looks these get some hard piece to cover the driver side hump, then the side carpet over ? just driver side ?
-5 pieces top and rear trim
-cylinder
-courtesy lights ( trim and sockets )
-it looks the have two boots ? one on console and one on floor ?
-then the trim for the boots.
-wiring for courtesy lights ( I can make that )

Is that everything ?

To buy this maybe will take 2 years unless we figure out how to get it soon

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and of course the hurst shifter setup

Last edited:
I am always amazed to see how a car like that ended up in South America.
Make your life easier and convert the car to a floor shift , non- console car.
However, to stay with a console, every item for them is reproduced and available. ideal to buy complete from a vendor and ship complete.
Financial advise, do it soon, as Chavez intends to devalue your currency in half, and your dollar cost will double. Best to get your dollar purchase exchanged soon.
A tip, anyone exporting to you, will run into shipping questions. Be ahead of the game and know yourself the logistics , to help any USA seller.

I am always amazed to see how a car like that ended up in South America.
Make your life easier and convert the car to a floor shift , non- console car.
However, to stay with a console, every item for them is reproduced and available. ideal to buy complete from a vendor and ship complete.
Financial advise, do it soon, as Chavez intends to devalue your currency in half, and your dollar cost will double. Best to get your dollar purchase exchanged soon.
A tip, anyone exporting to you, will run into shipping questions. Be ahead of the game and know yourself the logistics , to help any USA seller.

This is not Nacho's first rodeo with shipping , he has a florida shipping point anready set up and knows the nightmares of buying from venders and shipping out of the country . :)

yeap, I have dealing with this since back in 2002

You'll be amazed how many weird and expensive cars arrived to Venezuela back in the years. Talking about Mopars, we got here one Thunderbolt

to buy by myself, I have a forward courier service in Florida, what storage for me, making larger packages and saving shipping cost. That is allways my shipping address.

Dunno if will be in that way to my friend, but pretty much similar.

about just one vendor, I'm watching classic industries what it looks to have EVERYTHING, and we can wait to get a code discount.

but was wondering if everything I listed is what is required... two boots ? one on floor and the one on console ?, then the trim related ?

also... the side cover ( not the carpeting, talking about the fiberglass piece )... just the hump side

to be honored to the thruth IT IS POSIBLE the car is without console. I'll have to check that looking at floor fro brackets, &/or fender tag ), but I think my friend wants to install the console anyway

- - - Updated - - -

we are already dealing at this moment with a black market money exchange, paying 4 times more the official value. AT THIS MOMENT the official exchange rate is 4.3 Bs x 1 US$, on black market is around 17-20 Bs by dollar

( three months ago, it was "just" 10 Bs by dollar )

yeap I know thanks, but not right now the funds LOL.

is the list correct ? or do I'm missing something ?

accidentally found the answer AT LEAST ABOUT THE BOOTS on this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-1...090&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=3&sd=271136218613&

This is for all the 1968-1969 Dodge & Plymouth B-Body Cars with Manual [4-Speed] Transmission.
This is correct for all the cars without console, and this is also the lower boot for cars with console.
Console cars had both a lower boot that attached to the floorboard (this one) and also an upper boot that attached to the woodgrain trim plate.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks they must have also a molding all around the carpet section go attached to the console ?

Last edited:
yes an option is get an used automatic one, CUT the side to convert it on manual, get the driver side cover panel, carpet and molding, top plate and both boots

but still that can be around $1000...BEGINING ON AN USED ONE.

[What parts are required to get a full 4 speeds console setup ? I have noted:
-Plastic console. B]Available from Tony's Parts[/B]
-side carpets. Yes
-it looks these get some hard piece to cover the driver side hump, Yes then the side carpet over? Yes just driver side? Yes
-5 pieces top and rear trim shifter plate, console lid back piece and end cap. I count 4
-cylinder Console lid cylinder lock, latch and button
-courtesy lights ( trim and sockets ) yes
-it looks the have two boots ? one on console and one on floor? yes
-then the trim for the boots. retainers
-wiring for courtesy lights ( I can make that ) yes

Yes it is expensive and only worth it if you want and enjoy it. The car will never bring the extra money with it that it takes to buy and install it, as with most options. A buddy seat IS MUCH less expensive, fills the void between the seats and is a nice useable feature.

Here is a link that will help you with available repo parts for the console items.

http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=B&cat=I&subcat=2

4 speed list

Since you mentioned that you wanted to convert back to the 4 speed from the 904, here is a list of parts that would be needed. Mine had a 440/727. Since your car was already a 4 speed, it might have some of these parts.

Attachments

• 4spd install 2.jpg
    4spd install 2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 4spd install 1.jpg
    4spd install 1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 183
Don't forget about the rear metal brace/extension as well Nacho. Some stuff in the below pic is optional, like the cigarette lighter, Gauge/tach and padded compartment lid/adapter.

console.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back