• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on Mag rims lugs.

fmontez1

Local time
3:20 AM
Reaction score
I have these rims laying around.
rim.jpg

What type of lug nuts would I need? The ones on there are too long, and don't sit on the rim, so they work themselves loose.

The nut seat seems kind of flat, you can see a close up here. Let me know if you guys can help out with some know how?
By the way, this pic was a long time ago, I have steel police wheels on there now, but curious, so maybe I could have two sets of wheels or put these on to sell them.

And yes I fixed the missing lug issue!

rim closeup.jpg

Thanks!

- Fred.

my most recent charger I bought had chevy wheels (4 3/4 pattern) forced on the back. they actually spread (bent) the studs out and were driving on them. I think that's what you have going on there.

Crazy.. I'll measure them tonight. Maybe I can find a Chevy guy who wants them after a polish.

Thanks for the info.. I guess I'll be buying police wheels to match here soon.
I like them better anyway.

If I am looking at this right the lugs should have a short "shaft" that sits inside the hole of the rim to line everything up as it threads on. It looks like it is not centered but again I could be completely wrong.

I have these rims laying around.
View attachment 273621

What type of lug nuts would I need? The ones on there are too long, and don't sit on the rim, so they work themselves loose.

The nut seat seems kind of flat, you can see a close up here. Let me know if you guys can help out with some know how?
By the way, this pic was a long time ago, I have steel police wheels on there now, but curious, so maybe I could have two sets of wheels or put these on to sell them.

And yes I fixed the missing lug issue!

View attachment 273622

Thanks!

- Fred.

I was in the custom wheel business for over 25 years.

These wheels take a standard "shank style mag wheel nut" available at any auto parts store, summit or jegs.
The lug nut shank should fit snugly into the lug hole and none of the shank should protrude "past" the rear flat of the wheel, If they bottom out against the brake drum they will not tighten the wheel down.

If the lug nut shank is "loose" in the lug hole and doesn't just fit snugly into the hole then you have run the wheels with the wheels not tightened down and have damaged the size of the hole and it is not repairable.

Some wheels, of course, have elongated holes that are called "multiple fit" wheels that could accomodate Ford and Chrysler 5-4 1/2 and Chevy and other GM cars with 5 on 5 3/4 inch pattern. By looking at the picture is it obvious to me that these wheels do NOT have an elongated hole for the multiple fit pattern. It looks like they are "single fit" wheels just with damaged and wallowed out lug holes.

If you sell the wheels to an unsuspected soul they will never we able to safely use the wheels even if they now buy the correct lug nuts as the holes are damaged beyond repair.

The wheel s are Chevy bolt pattern 5x4.75 as stated and the correct lug nuts would be called e.t. shorts it has the shank that go's inside but are shorter then the e.t. longs .
You could have the wheels drilled (I wouldn't recommend this though) and put a elongated washer on it . This is very dangerous and not recommended at high speeds . I had a set of these on my charger like that (broke kid took what I could get) never agen the steelys weren't that bad .
I used to work at a wheel and tire shop that drilled the bolt holes to fit other cars per the buyers request .
Those wheels sell around here for about $100-$150 a set as they are no polish they never come out nicefor some reason even on the high dollar machine. Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Ah Mike beet me to it

"shoulder" is the term.

_wsb_249x130_DSCF1197.jpg

There is no "standard" although there are surely "very popular" as well as "other sizes."

As mentioned above, the OD of the shoulder should fit easily but "snugly" into the hole. There should be a big flat washer up against the hex section. The bottom of the shoulder should be long enough to at least go through most of the hole in the depth of the wheel, but the bottom of the shoulder should not hit the drum / disc end of the stud.

AND as someone mentioned, those might be the wrong pattern. Hard to tell, from those photos.

So basically, I should recycle these for their weight in aluminum, since they are damaged beyond any safe repair.

Auto Transport Service
Back