• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quincy Model 219-39 Air Compressor

MarPar

Live not by lies
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
Gents! Need to tap the vast wealth of knowledge here to try and repair my old Quincy 219-39 air compressor.

Now, I want to fix this olde girl and keep this setup. So to everyone who'll say just buy a new one, thank you, but that is my LAST resort and will cross that bridge if I get there. She has been a great little compressor for longer than I have been alive with minimal maintenance.

It all started when I walked into the garage one day and it running (filling), but it was making an odd sound. So I turned it off at the breaker. I proceed to turn the flywheel and it makes a "blooping" noise like it lost compression in the head.

I want to try and fix it myself, but am not opposed to getting a pro in here to fix it either. I have a decent grasp on mechanical items (and lotsa tools as well), but have not torn into an air compressor engine before.

So my question is, where to start? Obviously need to narrow down exactly what I need to fix and not go on a parts changing spree just to find out it didnt get fixed. I can get more detailed pics and a vid if need be.

Thank you!

IMG_2921.jpg
IMG_2918.jpg
IMG_2917.jpg
IMG_2919.jpg
IMG_2923.jpg
IMG_2925.jpg

Did you check the Reed valves? Possible hole in a piston?

Last edited:
I bought a rebuild kit for my Curtis at a nearby pump repair shop. It was surprisingly inexpensive. I'm not saying that will fix yours, but it's not so bad, throwing small amounts of money at issues. They also had the proper diaphragm material for the control valves.

They are not too difficult, but unlike the above post the parts for my Saylor Beale were VERY expensive... I found a compressor parts place online and they were really helpful...
Your compressor looks like a " Not built like that anymore" model.... I would fix it personally......

that baby will run for ever, I tore into mine last summer and was surprised at how simple they are

I posted stuff here

New Quincy QT-54 Air Compressor 2V41C60VC | For B Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

this is what I found

so I start opening up the top end, everything clean except the top of the high pressure discharge valve assembly...... lol, I became an expert this week.

there are no moving parts! I didn't expect that

the valves are just sorta like flat washers sitting on a spring. they move according to suction and pressure who knew?

I never really gave it any thought, never had to....... the thing just runs

anyway the valve assembly gets held down tight into the head with a jamb bolt and a lock nut, there is a copper washer at the bottom where it seats into the head.

evidently, the high pressure discharge valve assembly at the top is a point of condensation and gets rusty.... probably from not running enough, long enough, to get hot enough; imo

turns out my hold down lost enough material to loosen up the valve assembly...... that was my knock

hardest part was extracting the all the hold downs...... 2 of them broke off, even with heat. I made my own

20210620_155305-jpg.jpg

20210623_000015-jpg.jpg

20210623_000035-jpg.jpg

20210623_000023-jpg.jpg

20210620_155420-jpg.jpg

Where is the reed valve? Mind you, I have NO experience whatsoever with compressors.

the reed valve is in the valve assembly..... reread my post, in my situation, it was the assembly that came loose

that baby will run for ever, I tore into mine last summer and was surprised at how simple they are

I posted stuff here

New Quincy QT-54 Air Compressor 2V41C60VC | For B Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

this is what I found

so I start opening up the top end, everything clean except the top of the high pressure discharge valve assembly...... lol, I became an expert this week.

there are no moving parts! I didn't expect that

the valves are just sorta like flat washers sitting on a spring. they move according to suction and pressure who knew?

I never really gave it any thought, never had to....... the thing just runs

anyway the valve assembly gets held down tight into the head with a jamb bolt and a lock nut, there is a copper washer at the bottom where it seats into the head.

evidently, the high pressure discharge valve assembly at the top is a point of condensation and gets rusty.... probably from not running enough, long enough, to get hot enough; imo

turns out my hold down lost enough material to loosen up the valve assembly...... that was my knock

hardest part was extracting the all the hold downs...... 2 of them broke off, even with heat. I made my own

View attachment 1232517
View attachment 1232518
View attachment 1232519
View attachment 1232520
View attachment 1232521

Holy schmooly. Im hoping I dont have to go that far. Ugh.

So first thing would be to get the top off of it? Or should I pop off the plate where the oil fill tube is and look in there?

I am no compressor expert but I am fairly sure that if you look on top of your compressor cylinder you will find the head. Usually they have a felt filter and under that should be the reed valve. The reed valve is a thin metal (almost like a wider feeler gauge) which flexes and acts as an intake valve. Over time these reed valves can break due to fatigue. On the intake stroke the reed valve is pushed open by the flow of the air being pulled into the cylinder. When the piston hits BDC and starts to move up (compression stroke) the reed valve is forced closed and the air is forced into the holding tank. You may find that the reed valve has broken.
You will get this….

Last edited:
Gents! Need to tap the vast wealth of knowledge here to try and repair my old Quincy 219-39 air compressor.

Now, I want to fix this olde girl and keep this setup. So to everyone who'll say just buy a new one, thank you, but that is my LAST resort and will cross that bridge if I get there. She has been a great little compressor for longer than I have been alive with minimal maintenance.

It all started when I walked into the garage one day and it running (filling), but it was making an odd sound. So I turned it off at the breaker. I proceed to turn the flywheel and it makes a "blooping" noise like it lost compression in the head.

I want to try and fix it myself, but am not opposed to getting a pro in here to fix it either. I have a decent grasp on mechanical items (and lotsa tools as well), but have not torn into an air compressor engine before.

So my question is, where to start? Obviously need to narrow down exactly what I need to fix and not go on a parts changing spree just to find out it didnt get fixed. I can get more detailed pics and a vid if need be.

Thank you!

View attachment 1232475 View attachment 1232476 View attachment 1232477 View attachment 1232478 View attachment 1232482 View attachment 1232483

Don't waste any time taking it apart until you find out if parts are available. You won't know what you will need until you get into it but things like gaskets, reed valves, pistons, rings, and the like are most likely what you will be needing.

Last edited:
Quincy compressor.
Thanks for reminding me Kiwi, I loved that show.
As a side note here, there have been many versions of Quincy compressors almost everywhere I have worked. Also, several of the places I worked used a company called "Scales Compressors" who might have access to parts if you need them.

So after talking to @eldubb440 on the phone, we diagnosed it a bit further. It will pump up to 90 psi, but it will start faltering there. It was going up to 110 every time no problem. The compressor sounds like it will skip and then the compressor will slow down (rpm wise) and almost shut off.

Sounds more like a motor problem than a compressor problem, possibly a run capacitor...

So after talking to @eldubb440 on the phone, we diagnosed it a bit further. It will pump up to 90 psi, but it will start faltering there. It was going up to 110 every time no problem. The compressor sounds like it will skip and then the compressor will slow down (rpm wise) and almost shut off.

page 12 is what I was referring to...... #13 gets torqued down and seats #12 into #2 which is a copper gasket

my #12 became loose due to corrosion........ nothing there moves except for the little valve disc which reacts to pressure and suction.....basically no moving parts that require lubrication

Auto Transport Service
Back