• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R/T vs GTX

murfman

Local time
10:54 PM
Reaction score
Something I’ve always found interesting is the fact that the 67 GTX seems more upscale than the 67 Coronet R/T with its chrome exhaust tips, tooled vinyl upholstery, and even the grille detail in the rear seat. Dodge was usually a step above Plymouth in the market. My only guess is Dodge wanted to keep the Charger a step above the Coronet R/T.

And partially the plymouths were for the younger soup up dudes..
And Dodges were for the slightly older crowd

And partially the plymouths were for the younger soup up dudes..
And Dodges were for the slightly older crowd
I would think the more upscale Plymouth interior would have appealed to the older Dodge customers.

I did always love the GTX tips out the back so I added them to my R/T.
GTX interior is pretty sharp too but I do love mine also.
20220319_175952.jpg

Something I’ve always found interesting is the fact that the 67 GTX seems more upscale than the 67 Coronet R/T with its chrome exhaust tips, tooled vinyl upholstery, and even the grille detail in the rear seat. Dodge was usually a step above Plymouth in the market. My only guess is Dodge wanted to keep the Charger a step above the Coronet R/T.
Yeah; as a 1967 R/T owner, that has always bugged the $hit out of me, too! I think the '67 R/T was the only Mopar muscle car that you could not get standard or optional chrome exhaust tips on. I agree the GTX interior was much richer looking. The R/T also used the previous year's Coronet 500 sill and wheel well trim. GTX got new trims, different than the last year's Satellite trim.

I think interior is about the same, just slightly different patterns. Seats, RT had medallions, GTX had a design down the middle. RT had door badges, GTX had the rear seat cutout and badge. Arm rests and console was identical. I think the RT dash looks better and flows across the entire width of the car. you could option for the full horn ring on the RT, not sure if that was a choice on the GTX.

Plymouth gets the nod on the exhaust tips for sure.

I pretty much side with 69L48Z27, I think the R/T dash was a bit more attractive but from there back I think the GTX was a bit nicer. Outside, especially with the stripes and exhaust tips, the GTX seemed to be aimed at the younger GTO, 442, Fairlane GT, ChevelleSS crowd, while the R/T was a bit closer to the more conservative, mature, bankers hot rod crowd. Both were cool & muscular when I was a teen with a fresh drivers license but at that age the GTX had a just bit more pull on me.

I prefer the 67 GTX, however I like the 66 Coronet 500 over the 66 Satellite. The GTX hits it with the scoops, dash, seat pattern, rear seat cutout, exhaust tips, gas cap and longitudinal pinstripes in the trim panel and tail lights.

oldmopar5.jpg

cars 037.JPG

To me, the perfect "bastard" '66-'67 B-body mash-up would be the '66 Coronet with 500 trim, '66 Charger dash and grille, '67 GTX seating, and '67 Coronet R/T rear trim. The '67 GTX tips would be good, too.

GTX was competing with the chevelle SS396, R/T was competing with pontiac

R/T has the cool interior emblems on the top of the doors, and carpeting on the door panels.

GTX tips line up with the backup lamps and stripes. The hangers bolt on the outer bumper bolt. When you put them on the R/T the are just floating out in space, the hangers won’t bolt up to the bumper bolts or the tips would be underneath the bumper. 67 R/T would look better with straight tout the back 68 Dodge tips.

Plymouth sport fury and Chrysler 300’s have the rear seat surround similar to Satellite and GTX. Did a Dodge ever use that?

GTX was competing with the chevelle SS396, R/T was competing with pontiac

R/T has the cool interior emblems on the top of the doors, and carpeting on the door panels.

GTX tips line up with the backup lamps and stripes. The hangers bolt on the outer bumper bolt. When you put them on the R/T the are just floating out in space, the hangers won’t bolt up to the bumper bolts or the tips would be underneath the bumper. 67 R/T would look better with straight tout the back 68 Dodge tips.

Plymouth sport fury and Chrysler 300’s have the rear seat surround similar to Satellite and GTX. Did a Dodge ever use that?
Yes my 68 monaco 500 has that. It's a beautiful piece.

Didn't the Coronet 500 have the same trim/tail light treatment as the RT but no RT emblem on it? And couldn't you get a 500 in a 4 dr too? I'm not real up on the Dodges back then but an uncle had a 66 Coronet with that same trim across the back on his 4dr. The car was the exact color yellow and black vinyl top as my 66 Belvedere II was. What I don't recall is if it was a 500 or not. My 66 wasn't mine yet but thought it was ironic that the 66 was the only yellow 4dr in town and my uncle just so happens to buy the only yellow 4dr Coronet in town....

Didn't the Coronet 500 have the same trim/tail light treatment as the RT but no RT emblem on it? And couldn't you get a 500 in a 4 dr too? I'm not real up on the Dodges back then but an uncle had a 66 Coronet with that same trim across the back on his 4dr. The car was the exact color yellow and black vinyl top as my 66 Belvedere II was. What I don't recall is if it was a 500 or not. My 66 wasn't mine yet but thought it was ironic that the 66 was the only yellow 4dr in town and my uncle just so happens to buy the only yellow 4dr Coronet in town....
The 67 Coronet R/T and 500 had the same tail lights and trim panel. The R/T emblems and the 500 emblems were bolt ins, and were interchangeable.

Isn't the difference in 66 Satellite and 67 Satellite/GTX wheel trim the space for the 66 longitudinal chrome at the rocker panel and behind the rear wheels?

It's always amazed me that Plymouth, being the "budget" brand always seemed to have lots of extra cost "doo dads" like hood ornaments (different tooling for every engine size, no less), C pillar emblems, extra interior scrollwork, the afore mentioned exhaust tips, the flip top gas cap, and things like that.

I will say the the Plymouth plastic dash feels kind of cheap to me and flexes when operating the headlight switch and heater controls, while the Dodge dash has the headlight switch mounted to metal, and the heater controls mounted more securely.

'66 Satellite sill and wheel well moldings are different than '67 GTX pieces, in that they kinda "flow " into each other. The GTX ones are all separate.
However, the '66 Coronet 500 and '67 R/T moldings are the same. Chargers have different rear moldings to fit taller rear wheel opening.

Yep,
Every piece of trim on the side of a 1966 Satellite ( upper and lower pieces ) is 1966 Satellite Only,,,,,,unfortunately

Auto Transport Service
Back