• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator fan upgrade when adding A/C

Paul Bucolo

Local time
9:54 AM
Reaction score
What fan and radiator , water pump, thermostat should I use for a 1973 Plymouth roadrunner (has 360 engine) and I want to eventually add aftermarket A/C,
3 row vs 4 row
Electric fan?
Thermostat and water pump do I have to change?

Anyone that has suggestions that have added A/c. (live in Florida ) I would appreciate it!!

why not go with factory setup?

why not go with factory setup?
Heartily Agree. If all the coolant passages in the block and radiator are clear and the rad is built to factory specifications for the accessories everything should be fine. We have 3 cored 22inch rads, that were 2 core for 3 rads non air. Worked well in 100F even idling.

Heartily Agree. If all the coolant passages in the block and radiator are clear and the rad is built to factory specifications for the accessories everything should be fine. We have 3 cored 22inch rads, that were 2 core for 3 rads non air. Worked well in 100F even idling.

Thanks for the response, I thought because you have to place the ac condenser in front of the radiator and then u r running the compressor, it will run hotter. Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the response, I thought because you have to place the ac condenser in front of the radiator and then u r running the compressor, it will run hotter. Thanks for the advice

I have some unknown 3-row 22" radiator in my 67 Charger. When I did the upgrade to AC cooling setup I bought cheap GM-style fan clutch that should fit but it had no clearance between clutch and radiator. Would not fit. People say the clearance should be over minimum of 1/2" . Reproduction Mopar fan clutches are a bit shorter but expensive and it would not be enough because the rad is thicker then OE Mopar radiator for 67. With AC you would get 26" rad instead of thicker one. HAYDEN 2947 low-profile heavy duty clutch saved me from buying new radiator. It is absolute misery to bolt it to the water pump but it works great and clearance in my car is about 3/4".

Factory setup is factory setup and by 73 Mopar knew what they were doing. I would go with setup close to factory based on how vintage air or auto air kit bolts to your engine. Combination of 73 Mopar parts catalog and installation manual for Vintage Air should get you setup that just works.

Last edited:
I have some unknown 3-row 22" radiator in my 67 Charger. When I did the upgrade to AC cooling setup I bought cheap GM-style fan clutch that should fit but it had no clearance between clutch and radiator. Would not fit. People say the clearance should be over minimum of 1/2" . Reproduction Mopar fan clutches are a bit shorter but expensive and it would not be enough because the rad is thicker then OE Mopar radiator for 67. With AC you would get 26" rad instead of thicker one. HAYDEN 2947 low-profile heavy duty clutch saved me from buying new radiator. It is absolute misery to bolt it to the water pump but it works great and clearance in my car is about 3/4".

Factory setup is factory setup and by 73 Mopar knew what they were doing. I would go with setup close to factory based on how vintage air or auto air kit bolts to your engine. Combination of 73 Mopar parts catalog and installation manual for Vintage Air should get you setup that just works.
Great advice thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back