• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator overflow ???? what are you running?

jimbosride

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:22 PM
Reaction score
65 Dodge 383 mild build. Running a Flowkooler pump and a aluminum radiator. Car runs great ,180 to 200 degrees ..... About 600 miles on the engine. If I top off the radiator
it will puke some coolant when I park it. Maybe a cap issue ....or do I not fill radiator to the top?....or overflow bottle ??

20230426_141458.jpg

20230426_134201.jpg

Fill just over the core.
The water expands when heated, has to go somewhere.
The core is what does the cooling not the upper tank.

Awesome car :thumbsup:

That's what I thought ..... last summer I ran it without the puke .... but topped it off before winter storage.

:moparsmiley::rolleyes:

Dorman part. From Summit. I think it's a Mitsubishi application.

Keep in mind having a coolant recovery keeps air out of the cooling system. No air reduces oxidation.

20180518_200117.jpg

20180511_203929.jpg

It's crazy how they developed that cooling system to work as designed.

Dorman part. From Summit. I think it's a Mitsubishi application.

Keep in mind having a coolant recovery keeps air out of the cooling system. No air reduces oxidation.

View attachment 1663701

View attachment 1663702
That looks like the one I have in the GTX.

In my 62 Belvedere, I welded up a 10" section of 2-1/2" exhaust and use that as an overflow tank.

There are tons and tons of clear plastic expansion tanks available these days. I just grabbed one from a new car that fit pretty well and built a little bracket for it.

DSC_3678 (Large).JPG

For many 66-70 B bodies, the 73-76 A body overflow jug fits and works quite well.

I lowered the water level to see what happens. I think that may do it.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

You need to get the right one for your needs. Some are just overflow and do not allow returning of the fluid back to the radiator. A recovery style allows the fluid to return to the radiator. Some caps will not work correctly with recovery systems.

Manual says 1" below bottom of filler hole. I fill to there, "if" it pukes a little, then it was a touch high. I run flowkooler, aluminum radiator in 496" in 125° weather w a/c. By filling 1" below opening, I've never had an issue.

Mobil1 Oil bottle...rinsed well of course. Fits perfectly in the space.

DSC03767.JPG
DSC03764.JPG

I found a nice spun aluminum tank, it even came with a tig welded aluminum bracket. Just turn the Schwinn logo to the backside. LOL

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

Universal O'Reilly's tank. Zip tie in place.

IMG_20240516_101444639.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back