• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator Recore Sticker Shock

WAYNES WORLD

Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
Took my stock 66 Coronet 273 radiator to a local shop on Friday and asked for a price to fix or recore it. The shop was closing up for the weekend so the owner said he would have to call to get a price of a core on Monday and call me.It looked very good and was a low milage car 65k miles but would get a bit of AF along the bottom after a drive. So I get a message around 1 pm today and called him back about 2 hours later. Said it was $405. I was a bit shocked to say the least. I told him I could buy a new one cheaper and I would pick up the radiator. He then told me he had already cooked mine out and un soldered it. He also said he already ordered the core too. So now I'm into him for his time or should I just say screw it and never go back again and order a new US radiators unit. I really don't like a business doing this.
Wayne

Who the hell did it? If all you wanted was a price before any work was started then why did they start? What radiator shop did this?

Unless you signed something stating to do the work, I say you don't owe a dime.

I paid $400 for a recore. I thought it was the sunshine tax out here. The gd thing leaked too. He made good after pulling it back out. All is well now.

I took it to Mike Gross radiator in Hanover PA.
I'm looking into prices for the US radiator replacement. Maybe the price is fair but I don't think he should have taken mine apart before talking to me first.
Wayne

Legally, if all you wanted was an estimate, you owe nothing and he will have to return the radiator to you in the same condition you left it.

You'll pay around $400 for a US Radiator aluminum radiator. I'd make him an offer of $300. If he won't take it, go get it and buy one from US.

It depends on whether you want a oem or aftermarket radiator in your car.

My local shop told me 600 bucks, and it would not be the same header as stock. Sent it to Glen Ray and it came back like a new 1969 053 radiator. The price? 600 bucks, shipping included.

Recore. Copper works.

I had the one done in my 63 at Bobs radiator in West Newton price was 277.00 and he made it a three row instead of a two row and the car never runs hot

I just buy champion aluminum rads. My cars are drivers. You can get one for under 200 I'll wager

My local shop told me 600 bucks, and it would not be the same header as stock. Sent it to Glen Ray and it came back like a new 1969 053 radiator. The price? 600 bucks, shipping included.

Glen Ray is the best way to go... I paid twice because I didn't go to Glen Ray first. With Glen Ray you can be absolutely sure you are getting back a radiator PERFECT in every way. One of the best Mopar vendors I have ever dealt with...

around here a 26' GTX radiator is 300.00 three core new.

The $400 here was not without heartache. The shop is out of business - has to be a superfund site. Got a 4 row. Dicey install. Just fit. 180 Superstat will not reach 180 unless excessive idle in summertime traffic like Reno. Glad that's over. A reliable cooling system is priceless. Just had the (green) coolant flushed. The Mancini housing is sealed. I treat the cooling systme like the Royal Family now. Flush every two years. Leave two inches to the top. Just a splash of Royal Purple Ice. I check the level often and use the strips to check the ph.

PS: Don't pop the clutch in reverse. Can be expensive. Lost the shroud too. That was another hundred.

You asked him for a quote to repair or recore.You did not ok anything so you do not owe anything.

I would tell him to pound sand.Get a new aluminum type, I have a good used for that year as well.

$375. to $400. is the going rate around here for recores. BUT - there is no way he should have started on yours without you giving him the ok. I would do like monaco66 stated. Offer him $300, but make sure you watch him pressure test it before you take it home.

I called him this morning and told him not to do anything and I would pick up my radiator parts. I'm not paying him anything. He claims he had to disassemble the radiator to get the core size for the price. I said that's crap, after being in the business for 40 years he should have been able to get a core price quote without taking it apart. It's not that uncommon of a radiator.
I'll order a new US Radiator one as soon as I get a good source.
Any vendors please chime in!
Thanks for the support,
Wayne

......Bob at Glen-Ray is true-blue fellow, $600 is what they charge for most referbs with good tanks. Their work is the best in the business.

Auto Transport Service
Back