• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rain gutter trim removal ?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
What's the best way to remove the trim on a 66-7? I'm thinking about installing it on my 2dr post and right now it's on a 4dr car. It's probably going to be the only bright work on the sides.....

The sales guy at Mo Par City claims you need a special tool and only he has it. The guy doing my car took mine off without damaging them although one piece looked like the previous owner used a screw driver. I will ask him next week how did it.

Yeah, I've used a screw driver before and that doesn't work worth a damn lol. I know there's a special tool that crimps it on....

On my son's '72 Sat I just used my fingers to loosen it.. Slowly pry up from the bottom at one end. Once it is loose you can slowly use a screwdriver to pry off more as you go along. It worked like a charm for me. It's one of those things that is harder to describe, than it is to do. Just go slowly and gently,
It will pop off.

Ive always used a wooden hard wood wedge or plastic wedge would work also.

Got to looking around and saw a pair of wide mouth vise grips (sheet metal pliers) and use the top half of those to loosen up the trim then used a small dead blow hammer to help it along. Worked great! Now this may not be the best way but it worked for me. The car I took them off is for parts. The driver's side was way easier while the passenger side was much tougher. 45 years of slamming the driver's door loosens this stuff up?? Who knows lol :D

I would like to know about the tool i am sure many people have it.

save your money..lol
its called a paint mixing stick or a ice creme bar stick..
you can also use a old school can opener on the rounded side..

I used a bottle opener with a couple layers of masking tape on the ends. It worked great without any marks or damage to the trim. I keep it in my tool box for future use.

Yep! The old time bottle opener works fine. Put a layer or two of tap on it first.
Start at the back and just go about 1/2" at a time. I removed it from a 4 door sedan and installed it onto a 2 door sedan.......

Been using the bottle opener for decades too but just not on cars :D

I tried the bottle opener and it didn't work for me. Well at least not on the trim. Works like a charm on beer bottles though(when their not twist off)!

I just used one to open a Wolavers oatmeall stout. My drip rail piece that runs along the windshield and vent window is ruined. Anyone want a pair of drip rails (all three pieces)?

A little late, but a hammer handle or simply a cleanly cut 2x4 tapping on the bottom gets them off easily without any damage. Getting them on is a little trickier without denting.

Auto Transport Service
Back