• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rally dash clock repair

Redtunnel

Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
If you have an original rally dash clock that won't go "thunk" when power is applied I may have your fix. I just replaced points in a couple of these and they are working like new. It takes a little time, a set of points, some conductive glue (I used Anders Products Wire Glue), epoxy and a Dremel to make it easier. Pop the cover plate off the back 1 tab 2 crimps on the sides, remove spring (picture 4), with the spring off remove the solenoid contact arm (picture 6) , clean the solenoid contact (picture 7), prep arm for new points contact (picture 8), cut contacts off of donor set of points and glue in place with CONDUCTIVE GLUE and EPOXY (pictures 12-13). Reinstall the solenoid arm and reinstall the spring (pictures 14-15). Hook up to 12 volts and watch your clock wind and run, I have done 2 of them and they have been running for over a week. Just so you know the reset will be less than 2 minutes, I think the increased thickness of the points causes that, mine both reset at about a 1 minute 35-40 seconds. Hit the clock part with some TV tuner cleaner and lube while you have it apart. Sorry about some of the spelling.

4.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

Great photos Redtunnel! That takes patience. I’ve tinkered with a few of these clocks and with cleaning/lubing was able to spring them back to life. But I only filed the points. Smart suggestion about adding epoxy glue and I never knew about the conductive glue. Thanks for the lesson. Haywire

I can rewind the coils in them if you get some that are burnt up. I’ve rebuilt a few of them as well

Thanks Redtunnel, that’s a good write up. Like Haywire, i just cleaned mine up and re-installed. Worked great for awhile but has since stopped again. Next time i have my instrument cluster out i think i’ll be following your instructions here and do it properly. Cheers. Glenn

how much would you charge to do this to three of them .

how much would you charge to do this to three of them .
I was just trying to share what I learned doing mine, hadn't really thought about fixing them for others. Thanks for asking though.

Good write-up. When cleaning my clock, I found that I didn't even need 12 volts to test it. A 9 volt radio battery worked just fine.

When I took mine out years ago, the coil was badly burnt, and I read about them lasting around 30 minutes off the showroom floor when new. So I ended up retro-fitting a quartz movement in the Tic-Toc-Tac....could not tell that it was there apart from the smooth flowing hands. Never lost time again. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back