• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ram Air Color

al383

Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
I am touching up my ram air on my 1969 super Bee .What is the original color flat black ,Matt black? I know it wasn't gboss I don't think.! Thank you for any pics and advice.

Well covered here in restoration threads. It is Brown. Walnut brown to be more specific...

a bit of clarification

Hood treatment ?
stripes & where the engine call outs go on
Organosol Black, sort of in between a matt & a semi-gloss
grills (& air cleaner top) in them are a gloss Hemi Orange
(exact orange I'm not 100% sure)

or the N96 Airbox ? underhood
Mopar 69 Plymouth n96 Airgrabber ducting Classic Industries.jpg

Mopar 69 GTX Hood Paint Layout #1.jpg

Mopar 69 GTX Hood Paint Layout #2.jpg

Well covered here in restoration threads. It is Brown. Walnut brown to be more specific...
When I bought the car in 1978 the air box looked black to me. I believe it was a Matt black not Brown.

That's what we've all believed for decades. If you find a Virgin spot you'll find the material is dark brown.

That's what we've all believed for decades. If you find a Virgin spot you'll find the material is dark brown.
Somebody's gotta have a picture of one when it was brand new in 69. Maybe they will see this post and reply

Good luck. If you don't want the truth don't ask the question. :poke:
Do you have a picture of 1 from 1969 that you can show me? It's not disbelief it's just hard to believe.

My Father bought my Bee off the lot in '69. I "borrowed" the untouched N96 hood off my buddies car in '78. I ain't blowing smoke. The "plastic" composite of the day was not Black. It was dark brown identical to your heater box. I'm at camp fishing and don't have access to my photo albums but as I first posted you can easily check the members restoration section. Start with the pinned ones...

My Father bought my Bee off the lot in '69. I "borrowed" the untouched N96 hood off my buddies car in '78. I ain't blowing smoke. The "plastic" composite of the day was not Black. It was dark brown identical to your heater box. I'm at camp fishing and don't have access to my photo albums but as I first posted you can easily check the members restoration section. Start with the pinned ones...
Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back