• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ratchet Shifter Recommendations??

phatdak18

Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
Ive got a 727 trans with a Turbo Action cheetah reverse manual valve body...

My project is definetly a pro touring resto mod and will mainly be driven on the street as a daily driver. However i do intend to play with it on the track as well from time to time. Also i am not too concerned about how said shifter fits in the console because i am planing on fabricating my own. And because my car was originally a column shift car, ill need to cut a hole in the floor too (which may work out to my advantage as far as positioning it for comfort is concerned).

Looking for some input reguarding ratchet shifters, seems to me B&M and Hurst are the most popular options, but ive not had the chance to ever use either..

So what are you guys using??

I've used the B&M Quicksilver for years. I's a quality unit at a reasonable price.
Doug

I agree with dvw, I'm not a fan of buttons, levers or any other do dads for a street car so the Quicksilver was a nice fit. With them you lift up on the whole stick instead of having a lever or button but once in 1,2,D it's full ratchet. I really liked it in my car, come to think of it I just switched my car to a 6 speed standard and have it sitting in the garage. If your interested make me a reasonable offer and it's yours.

I have the Hurst Pro matic 2 Works great love the action and safety features. For me I wanted as much factory use/look as I could get at least trying to meld oem with mod. the cable got routed through the floor, over the top of the starter and then back under starter to the linkage bracket. works great, for a insurance policy I added a 4 ft piece of heat protection tube 1"

When going to from park to reverse just lift up once pull back and drop it in. then push down pull back to go into drive, then its all ratchet from there. I am happy with mine. was using the **** R arm set up from

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/products/3838500-automatic-shifter-pro-matic-2/?mk=&yr=&md=&sm=&e=

Not a Slush Box fan but when I ran one I liked the Cheeta / winters Gate style over the ratchet. Simple and fast !

I'm a Hurst pro matic 2 fan easy to use and affordable and my local discount auto carrys them in stock I've never had a problem with one as stated above the cable is excessively long but as long as you take your time and run it away from the headers you'll be fine also I like the pistol grip above never thought to do that cool idea I'm going to steal it next time I'm doing an automatic,thanks bigmanjbmopar great idea
,I've used a b&m shifter before in my last 72 I didn't like it to much to many things to do to get the thing in gear and it was worse trying to get park ,There all not that bad but you can't beat the promatic 2 ,witch was on eBay not to long ago New for $100.00 buy it now they had 50 something in stock hope this helps good luck with your choice

I used to have a Mr. Gasket Rachet shifter in my RR, but removed it several years ago before I started the restoration. I wouldn't mind having one again, I liked using it when street racing, and it confused a lot of people that tried to drive my car because you had to pull up the key and push down on the shifter. However, since you have to hack up the tunnel, console, and the original mounts, most likely wont do it again. I still have most of my original and see some on ebay for sale.

Cutting a hole in the tunnel was painful for sure, but I was able to get the console brackets out without damaging them sitting on the shelf. Seems they just soldered them in from the factory so the welds were real soft and just basically stuck to the tunnel floor. My console is already in need of replacement so didn't mind cutting a 1" or so out of one of the mounts. still usable lol

Here's the pics you asked.

1424130102879.jpg

1424129618883.jpg

1424129491192.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, first attempt at loading pics with my phone.

- - - Updated - - -

That's better.

DSCN9650.jpg

DSCN9651.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That's better.

DSCN9650.jpg

DSCN9651.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back