• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rattle can primer..what to buy ?

rustytoolss

Local time
7:16 PM
Reaction score
Going to paint my engine bay ( not pulling engine ) with base coat clear coat. What rattle can primer show I purchase ? Do I need special primer for Basecoat/clear coat ?

Going to paint my engine bay ( not pulling engine ) with base coat clear coat. What rattle can primer show I purchase ? Do I need special primer for Basecoat/clear coat ?
I used self etching but I am no body man. Oh, I didn't use base clear.

engine 221.jpg

engine 296.jpg

Oh no.... The dreaded black engine bay in a non-black car! Heresy! :poke:
I had to paint it some color and I had plans of the outside being black. Hasn't happened yet but I hate ZZ1 code.

2.20.22c.jpg

A paint store guy told name to use SEM seld-etching primer for small areas and urethane will safely go over it. I’ve done it a few times and no problems.

I was using Duplicolor 2-in-1 high build primer and my painter suggested I remove it and use epoxy.
Which I did!
Found this on Duplicolors web site (the 2-in-1 high build primer is Lacquer based)

Image 4.jpg

Last edited:
Any painters out there that can clear this up

If I'm shooting the whole car in a booth, I go with a two stage paint. For just an engine compartment I prefer to use a single stage urethane over epoxy primer on clean metal. The single stage shines real nice and if you get a little dust in it, you can sand and buff it easy. Here's the last two I did.

DSC00167.JPG

IMG_E5657.JPG

If you’re going to prime the whole engine bay over old paint then you need to probably use a sealer - probably epoxy primer, but consult with your paint supplier.

If you’re going to prime the whole engine bay over old paint then you need to probably use a sealer - probably epoxy primer, but consult with your paint supplier.
On that note... i was told to NEVER EVER epoxy prime over etch primer!

If I'm shooting the whole car in a booth, I go with a two stage paint. For just an engine compartment I prefer to use a single stage urethane over epoxy primer on clean metal. The single stage shines real nice and if you get a little dust in it, you can sand and buff it easy. Here's the last two I did.

View attachment 1426007

View attachment 1426008
I do plan to paint the complete car at some point (doing a color change ), But for now I just want to do engine bay (someone before me painted the engine Black)...yeah I know !

Get a pint of single stage, in body color, clean up the surfaces and scuff them with some 400 or so, tape all the firewall components and engine and spray where you can get to. No rattle cans necessary.
Show us some pictures of what you are painting.

Get a pint of single stage, in body color, clean up the surfaces and scuff them with some 400 or so, tape all the firewall components and engine and spray where you can get to. No rattle cans necessary.
Show us some pictures of what you are painting.
1962 Fury wagon, 318 poly (note: black engine bay ).

P1040827.JPG

P1040657.JPG

Nice air cleaner!! If you are just going black on the engine compartment, then rattle can is probably good. I thought you were going with a factory color, not available in a can.

I do plan to paint the complete car at some point (doing a color change ), But for now I just want to do engine bay (someone before me painted the engine Black)...yeah I know !
Unless you do it in one shot, paint the engine compartment, drop the engine in to make the car mobile. Outside panels can be done at a later date. Unless you would like to pull the motor again.

He said that he is not pulling the motor.

Auto Transport Service
Back