• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rattle can primer..what to buy ?

Nice air cleaner!! If you are just going black on the engine compartment, then rattle can is probably good. I thought you were going with a factory color, not available in a c

Nice air cleaner!! If you are just going black on the engine compartment, then rattle can is probably good. I thought you were going with a factory color, not available in a can.
No black , I going to use a 1962 Plymouth factory color (and it's not going to be white either)...yeah that 6 pac (4brl) type air cleaner looks good on that 318 poly...from a distance it looks like I have a 440 6 pac under the hood.

Unless you do it in one shot, paint the engine compartment, drop the engine in to make the car mobile. Outside panels can be done at a later date. Unless you would like to pull the motor again.
:)

Last edited:
First, rattle-can anything generally sucks unless you're painting a flower pot.
No need to prime over existing paint. Well sanded existing paint that isn't burned through to bare steel is the best surface to paint over for adhesion.
Spot prime the large bare steel areas with epoxy or self etch, both work well, I prefer epoxy.
Seal the entire bay then apply the base coat then clear. Badda bing.

I don't use rattle cans much on cars but do like to keep a can of SEM Incase I breakthrough and don't feel like mixing primer, I've had nothing but good luck with all of their products.

I am doing a 71 Challenger - originally B5 blue, repainted Plum Crazy, but now going back to B5. I sanded the trunk, engine compartment, door jams, etc with self-etching primer, and then sprayed those areas (trunk, engine compartment, door jams, etc), with B5 blue rattle can that I got from a local Auto paint store. The main body will be painted B5 at a local painter to get a clean, smooth, one-step finish.

The self-etching primer is the best, and easily covered by single-stage paint.

I am doing a 71 Challenger - originally B5 blue, repainted Plum Crazy, but now going back to B5. I sanded the trunk, engine compartment, door jams, etc with self-etching primer, and then sprayed those areas (trunk, engine compartment, door jams, etc), with B5 blue rattle can that I got from a local Auto paint store. The main body will be painted B5 at a local painter to get a clean, smooth, one-step finish.

The self-etching primer is the best, and easily covered by single-stage paint.
Thanks for the information. I've got 2 questions. First how well did the spray paint cover the surface (did it take more cans than you expected)? Second I guessing that the paint was a custom mix put into spray cans, Do you mind saying the aprox price per can ? Thanks so much.

Last edited:
napa sells a pretty good aerosol etch primer

s-l1600.jpg

Going to paint my engine bay ( not pulling engine ) with base coat clear coat. What rattle can primer show I purchase ? Do I need special primer for Basecoat/clear coat ?
I had to do engine bay and used 66 Auto Color to source my paint. 2K Spray Max rattle can primer and the 2K Spray Max single stage which they mixed the color on and it is real close (Hemi orange). Not cheap at all, but went on nice and no clean-up. Worked for me, that’s all I know.

I used the self-etching primer from Rust-oleum. Good stuff. The B5 blue covers pretty well over primer, but It took about 6-7 cans to cover two door rocker, hinges, surrounds, the are under the hood and trunk surrounding.

I will get a good paint job in a shop for the outer body and light spray over the area that i covered once the doors are back on and the weather breaks. Each B5 spray can is about $30.

I used the self-etching primer from Rust-oleum. Good stuff. The B5 blue covers pretty well over primer, but It took about 6-7 cans to cover two door rocker, hinges, surrounds, the are under the hood and trunk surrounding.

I will get a good paint job in a shop for the outer body and light spray over the area that i covered once the doors are back on and the weather breaks. Each B5 spray can is about $30.
Did you price out what maybe a small can of B5 would cost and using a small touch up gun instead of using individual cans? I'm thinking maybe a pint would cover....? Been a while since I bought any paint and I know it sure ain't going down any!

Did you price out what maybe a small can of B5 would cost and using a small touch up gun instead of using individual cans? I'm thinking maybe a pint would cover....? Been a while since I bought any paint and I know it sure ain't going down any!
I've been wondering that myself. I'm NO painter, so for me to but all the materials needed (paint, reducer,clear,reducer and all things things else that I don't know I will need). For now I just want to paint my engine bay. And maybe next winter start painting door jambs.

Going to paint my engine bay ( not pulling engine ) with base coat clear coat. What rattle can primer show I purchase ? Do I need special primer for Basecoat/clear coat ?
My local store mixes PPG Omni into aerosols. Good stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back