• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-Using E-Brake Cable

Baller

Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Being that I'm cheap, I'd like to reuse the old e-brake cables on my '70 GTX. I've cleaned them with simple green and evaoprust. The cables slide within the sleeve, though not easily. No 'two finger pull'. So my question is, how easy should the cable move? Thanks.

Need some dry lube, graphite?(Messy) NO oil attracts dirt, MO. There are dry lubes in spray cans.

Should move easily and smooth. You could try soaking the whole cable in evaporust for a few days and sliding the cable in the jacket a few times every day.It may slick it right up then add some dry graphite from an aerosol can and work completely
through the jacket.

Somebody said a mix with molasses and water as a rust remover? It in another thread in spring?

I've never tried this so I have no first hand knowledge, YMMV.
An old friend that worked on and owned several antique vehicles told me he'd soak hanging cables a day or so. Then he'd straighten them out securing the jacket ends to a board. He then attached a variable speed drill to the cable end and spin it slowly while working it back and forth through the jacket.

molasses and water does eat away the rust . but is a pain in the as... to get it gone . i did it once to sheet matel parts . it removed the rust but left a mess to get out of every pour in n out of the parts . it not a great way unless you have a hot pressure washer to force that crap out with .

I just cleaned mine in the parts washer and dried it up and used graphite lube. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
My father-in-law makes NEW brake cables -- they are not that expensive for perfect replacements...
Treat your car -- go new.....

If you can pull/push them in and out by hand they are good enough. I always reuse the originals if I can.

Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know about the dry lube before i sprayed everything with oil...

Cleaned them up and lubed with graphite. They now move super easy. BTW, the trick with the drill is money for drawing out old grease. Thanks Daves69.

Somebody said a mix with molasses and water as a rust remover? It in another thread in spring?

:D
you can buy it at Tractor supply 10 bucks a gallon
mix it 10 to 1 with water
you can get 50 gallons of solution for about 50 bucks

many ways to get creative stretching with evaporust also
to use on larger stuff like springs even a door
make a half *** mold around part with wood
plywood floor with 1x6 or 2x4 sides
get 6 mill plastic to line
fill dead spots up around part with sand under the plastic.
you can make a gallon of the stuff go a long way.
for my cables
I have a 4 ft length of pvc
glued a end cap on one side
load up with cables fill pipe with solution

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back