• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really need 440 advice

christineman

Local time
8:31 PM
Reaction score
Just finished up my 69 RR with 440. I may have made a mistake I used purple cam/solids Alluminum heads set the lifters at 24/32 warm. But geez, sounds like a damm combine with all the lifter noise. I'm not used to that. I hate it. Nice can and decent idle but the noise is terrible. I know, have to sacrifice for performance but this is terrible. Question. How tight is the absolute tightest I can go??

Just finished up my 69 RR with 440. I may have made a mistake I used purple cam/solids Alluminum heads set the lifters at 24/32 warm. But geez, sounds like a damm combine with all the lifter noise. I'm not used to that. I hate it. Nice can and decent idle but the noise is terrible. I know, have to sacrifice for performance but this is terrible. Question. How tight is the absolute tightest I can go??
I wouldn`t worry one bit about 20 - 28

i don't know why mopar calls for the .028"/.032" lash settings on some of those cams; i think it's silly. try setting the lash at .016" cold with those alum heads as a starting point.

With the MP .557 solid and iron 906 heads I used to set the lash at .020 cold on both valves and it was not any noisier then most solid cams to me. Ron

i don't know why mopar calls for the .028"/.032" lash settings on some of those cams; i think it's silly. try setting the lash at .016" cold with those alum heads as a starting point.
Like lew says, the factory calls for .028"/.032" hot. The aluminum heads will cause the lash to open up some .006" from cold to hot. You will have no problems at all setting the lash .018"/.022" cold. If it is still to noisy for you, tighten it up to .016/.020 cold and try again.

Auto Transport Service
Back