• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Brakes Lock Up when Wheels Go On?

I'm going to check the original shoes, and the shoes on the other car, and see if they match, some shoes have holes for the springs and things in different places or different sizes/shapes.

I don't have an e-brake, the rear cables are in the backing plates but that's it, there's no tension on them or the shoes.

I don't see any evidence that the drum is in contact with the backing plate, I put anti-seize everywhere, more than pictured, and spun the wheel multiple times, including when tightened just before it locks up.
Plus the measurements show there's plenty of space.

I could be wrong, but I'm doing everything I can, and all of your input is invaluable.

I think it's crappy shoes.

Edit:
I just checked my email, the Dr is sending new shoes, he thinks the linings are too thick and they are egg shaped.

I just went through a similar problem on the front of my '68 Satellite. Everything was great until I bolted on a wheel, then the shoes were catching when rolling wheel forward. Disassembled and reassembled a couple times, same result. I finally took a file and chamfered the leading edges of both shoes more. Problem fixed.

I have found when I get these types of problems that you need to find what the interfearence is. Take layout blue or red spray paint and paint the inside of the drum. Then reinstall and drag the wheel around with interfearence, after it will be clear where the interfearence is because the paint will transfer. This should lead you to the problem.

In my country, we use bonded linings mostly. They are available in oversize thicknesses for drums that have been machined o'size. Is this the problem here, oversize linings, std drum?

In my country, we use bonded linings mostly. They are available in oversize thicknesses for drums that have been machined o'size. Is this the problem here, oversize linings, std drum?
In my case, see above, it was all brand new parts from the MC to the wheel studs. I think it's poor quality control.

Received the new shoes, on the left in pic.
Drums fit fine now, no issues.

I compared the old to the new, set them on top of each other and in the drum.

The visible differences on the new ones:
I had to open the e-brake bracket hole up a bit.
The middle and upper contacts that rub on the backing plate were both higher up on the shoes, the top one more so.

No difference:
Shoes were the same length, and in the same place, holes as well.
Placed them all in the drums, all sat flush, didn't see any gaps anywhere.

Nearly impossible to see in the pic, but clear when you set one on top of the other.

Drums went right on up against the axles, in fact, I couldn't use the old shorter adjusters, I had to use the new adjusters and open them up quite a bit.

Nothing stood out and drums went right on.
I lost a week on this, so I wasn't too concerned with figuring out the exact issue, but I made an effort because I want to know, exactly, but I want to get this car going more.

20220401_014243.jpg

Received the new shoes, on the left in pic.
Drums fit fine now, no issues.

I compared the old to the new, set them on top of each other and in the drum.

The visible differences on the new ones:
I had to open the e-brake bracket hole up a bit.
The middle and upper contacts that rub on the backing plate were both higher up on the shoes, the top one more so.

No difference:
Shoes were the same length, and in the same place, holes as well.
Placed them all in the drums, all sat flush, didn't see any gaps anywhere.

Nearly impossible to see in the pic, but clear when you set one on top of the other.

Drums went right on up against the axles, in fact, I couldn't use the old shorter adjusters, I had to use the new adjusters and open them up quite a bit.

Nothing stood out and drums went right on.
I lost a week on this, so I wasn't too concerned with figuring out the exact issue, but I made an effort because I want to know, exactly, but I want to get this car going more.

View attachment 1263180
Agree hard to see in picture, but what ever the difference it's X2 with the shoes on.

Been studying your pics, It appears the new shoes have a larger arc where they mount to the top anchor. Did Ma have different size anchor pins? :screwy: Be something to watch for. :rolleyes:

It appears the new shoes have a larger arc where they mount to the top anchor.
You know, I guessed the same in post #57, that the upper part was too long and therefore not up against the top pin as far as it needed to be.
My reasoning was, since removing the lower adjuster allowed the drum to spin, but putting in the shorter adjuster did not, it had to be wider at the top for some reason.

Looking at the pic of the shoes side by side, that top arc where they mount against the top pin does look wider on the new shoes.

Same conclusion, stated differently.

That has to be it.

All the shoes sat in the drums without issue, no gaps inbetween the shoes and drum, therefore the shoes are not egg shaped. Also, all shoes were the same size and at the same position on the metal.

Auto Transport Service
Back