• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Brakes Lock Up when Wheels Go On?

Are your backing plates mounted directly to the axle tube and then the axle flange is on the outside?
Yes, no other way.
Axles come with flange that bolts to the axle tube placed on the axle before the bearings.
Bearings have a retainer built in that prevents the flange from coming off, as it holds the axle to the tube.
Backing plate has to go on first.

I also checked kryslerkid's thread, he has a 62 as well, same axles, documented the process with pics.

Yes, no other way.
Axles come with flange that bolts to the axle tube placed on the axle before the bearings.
Bearings have a retainer built in that prevents the flange from coming off, as it holds the axle to the tube.
Backing plate has to go on first.

I also checked kryslerkid's thread, he has a 62 as well, same axles, documented the process with pics.
The drum needs to be measured. Maybe someone can lay a straight edge along the axle flange and measure to the shoe. It is a shot in the dark but worth a try. If that comes up correct for sure it is in the drum. I have machined them with minor interference but you claim 2 or 3 washes are needed which is about 1/4 inch.

Not directing any negativity towards you. I'm open to try anything and any suggestion, and greatly appreciate feedback.
I did try your suggestion, and a few different ways, just to see, I need this thing to roll, and this was supposed to be the last time it's up in the air, for a while at least.

Just so frustrated right now.

This is with 2 nuts on, check out that deformation, ridiculous, 3 is worse.

I'm guessing these are 2 piece garbage and if they are machined any farther it cuts the 2 pieces apart.
Hard to tell, but that inner edge looks weird.

20220322_232310.jpg

I think you are closing in on it. It looks to me like the drums are not machined deep enough, there is a shoulder that could be binding on the outer edge of the shoes. I would be great if you had some old drums to see if they would work.
Maybe measure from backing plate to the outside edge of the shoes, and compare to the machined depth of the drum.
Agree, the drum is the most likely culprit.

I can measure, and/or pull drums off my Fury.
I kept the old brakes, and I know the rears are separated from the hubs, just not sure where they are at the moment.

I sent an email to the Dr, hopefully he will offer up another set and I can just put these in the same box and send back or throw in the scrap pile.
I paid for working brakes, without me having to work for them, lol.

Well, I received a response, although I'm confused, no, I didn't install the wheel bearing snap ring incorrectly because it comes installed already.

Suggestion: the shoes could be adjusted too tight.

Does that sound plausible?

Last edited:
Received another reply, going to verify everything was assembled correctly asap.
Who knows, maybe I made the same error on both sides, and if not, I'll take additional measurements and figure it out.

Frustration and being tired take their toll when brain try to work good.
Goodnight.

Shoes too tight do NOT cause this problem.
Looks like non-original axle? I suspect the flange needs to be further out. In other words, the axle is too short. Can you compare with another car or can somebody on the forum do a comparison measurement?

He shows a tape measurement at 2 1/2.
AH.. yes he does, I missed that, but is it my eyes or does it appear the shoe lining is sticking out off the outside edge of the backing more than the inside? Could just be the angle of the shot.

AH.. yes he does, I missed that, but is it my eyes or does it appear the shoe lining is sticking out off the outside edge of the backing more than the inside? Could just be the angle of the shot.
I told him last nite to lay a straight edge across the axle flange and take measurements to the shoes and backing plate. Then find someone who could compare them. Its possible the drum is made wrong or those re-drilled axles are incorrect for what he has. He said with the shoes off the drum fits and rotates. So it does clear the backing plates. That's why I am thinking it could be the drums. CCJ. He is off a 1/4 inch somewhere.

I would say the measurements don't mean much, other than to verify the drum and shoes are the same size.
The reference point needed is the distance from the axle flange to both.

Best to use shims to find the exact place of interference.

Also, attaching 1 lug or 2 next to each other may complicate matters by cocking the drum.

Later today, I'm going to take off my 64 Fury drum, which was converted to 65, and compare.
Also will take measurements, and pull axle off one side to verify I assembled correctly.

Axles are exactly the same length as the old tapered from the spline to the inner edge of the bearing - that's what I thought was critical, so I measured it.

I was probably thinking with the old hub and drum assembly anything beyond that could be different.

I only attached 2 nuts next to each other to capture the issue on video.

I initially put the Cragars on, wheel on, lug nuts on a bit, pull the wheel on to the lug nuts, gradually tighten lug nuts in an even pattern.
Watched as the wheel moved around weird as it went on.

Tried it with a steel wheel as well, same.

I'm hoping I did something wrong and it's a quick fix, but doubting I did it wrong on both sides.
Hopefully I'm an idiot.

Later today, I'm going to take off my 64 Fury drum, which was converted to 65, and compare.
Also will take measurements, and pull axle off one side to verify I assembled correctly.

Axles are exactly the same length as the old tapered from the spline to the inner edge of the bearing - that's what I thought was critical, so I measured it.

I was probably thinking with the old hub and drum assembly anything beyond that could be different.

I only attached 2 nuts next to each other to capture the issue on video.

I initially put the Cragars on, wheel on, lug nuts on a bit, pull the wheel on to the lug nuts, gradually tighten lug nuts in an even pattern.
Watched as the wheel moved around weird as it went on.

Tried it with a steel wheel as well, same.

I'm hoping I did something wrong and it's a quick fix, but doubting I did it wrong on both sides.
Hopefully I'm an idiot.
Try your new drum on the other car.

Auto Transport Service
Back