• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear leaf spring question

Bad B-rad

Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
Dose anyone know the difference, besides $200, between the 440/Hemi springs sold by Classic(MR3126) and the Mancini Racing's Mopar performance P4452982/983?(NOT THE SS springs)
They are both claimed to be the OE 1967-1970 440/Hemi HD springs with the "extra" springs found on R/T 440/Hemi cars
The price is $460-Classic and $260 for Mancini.
(I am wrenching on 69-B body)

I think they both lack the correct P/N on the bottom for an OE resto, but I am not going for OE resto, I just want the OE style 440/Hemi springs to preform as factory.
I know later I could get the OE # stamped extra leaf kit, to add them, and I will never do.

My 383 springs are sagging a touch, I can do the old air shock, fix, but I would love to just swap in the new 440/Hemi springs.

Thanks.

BB-r, I put the MP Heavy Duty, not SS, springs, in my 383 Challenger, and they worked very well, and gave it a nice Attitude for height. Ride was good too...
100_2053.JPG
100_2054.JPG

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great looking Challenger!!!
Where did you buy them from, and cost?

Around 1999, I had a rear loose an axle on a 1974 Duster, coming home from NYC, so I found a used rear, and had the shop install 440 springs from the Paddock(remember them) while they were changing out the rear out.
The Duster was a slant 6 198CI!!!
It looked so freaking mean jacked up in the rear, and handled the corners better, but it was a HARSH ride!!!!

On my Charger I will just go R/T 440/Hemi rear springs, and then do the same R/T torsion bars later on.

I would ask classic where their springs are made. The mp ss springs are getting a bad reputation for sagging quickly, since production moved to mexico. I don't know if that applies to the 440/hemi springs. I've had Mexican ss springs on my car for at least 15 years with no complaints.
If classic are us made, and mancini's are import, then it's your decision about longevity, and who you want to support. If classics springs aren't us made, then......?

I checked out rock auto, they sell Dayton springs, and they appear to be made in the USA, Pn 33907 is 1 and 5/8 inch pack thickness, they look to be 6 leaf only.
Classic and Mancini will required a phone call or email.

BB-r, the resto was done about 10 yrs ago, so price was probably quite a bit different back then, guessing maybe $ 100 each ? That one is not locked in my memory any longer ? Check with a local Dodge Dealer, they are still available I believe, and may be in Stock, near by ? Ask for a discount, they usually like to move the "Old Mopar" Performance Parts...

Take them all apart, clean them good, install new galvinized interleafs and plastic wear plates + clamps and you may just be surprised how that sag goes away. I've ran air shocks on my car, at about 35 psi, since 1979. When I restored it I put a new set back on after re and re'ng my 50+ year old leafs. I have about 4 psi in the air shocks and it's finally settled a bit after 500+ miles and considering I should put normal shocks back in place as they're doing nothing..
beerestoration2018 729.JPG

beerestoration2019 526.JPG

I put e-body 440 springs in my Sport Fury. Quite happy with them. Got them from Mancini. One thing to remember is that when these were new the nose ran a bit high compared to the rear. Go watch Vanishing Point. The springs from Mancini sit flat in the car, which they should. If you have an arch it’ll screw up the handling. Amazing the number of people with super stock springs and wrist thick torsion bars who’s car handle poorly.

My slightly sagging springs are 383 ones, so I figure that I would be happier with the 440/hemi ones, as I do enjoy driving it a bit hard around corners. Unless I do the rebuild on my 383 set and add the extra leaf(s) to each side, but $$ wise Mancini may be cheaper.
Thanks for the advice!!!:thumbsup:

My slightly sagging springs are 383 ones, so I figure that I would be happier with the 440/hemi ones, as I do enjoy driving it a bit hard around corners. Unless I do the rebuild on my 383 set and add the extra leaf(s) to each side, but $$ wise Mancini may be cheaper.
Thanks for the advice!!!:thumbsup:

I replaced mine with the Hemi B Body set from Mancini's, as well as the torsion bars. Big convenience for me is I can drive there and pick up my orders. I am happy with the results so far. The ride stance of my Charger R/T has been restored. Time will tell how they hold up.

Previously, when I restored my car in the early 80's I performed the exercise dadsbee describes. Back then you didn't have many options. That worked fine for many years, but eventually 50 year old springs sag.

Auto Transport Service
Back