• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Quarter Panel textured? (inside trunk)

SRT_Blubyu

Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
Maybe an easy question for you fellas who are rich with the technical knowleadge: Did the Gen 2 Chargers have a teztured surface on the inside of the quarter panels in the trunk? or is this a 'restoration technique' used to mask quarter patching?

Also, unrelated, but is the bumblebee stripe painted or decal?

Thanks Fellas!

Last edited:
They all had the texture inside the quarter panels from the factory.
Bumble Bee stripe is a decal on B-bodies.

rear end stripe is painted on 1970 Challengers

04436F2A-E2B4-4389-9DEA-CF4EBAA4322D.jpeg

And the textured undercoat inside the truck should be painted body color.

They all had the texture inside the quarter panels from the factory.
Bumble Bee stripe is a decal on B-bodies.

rear end stripe is painted on 1970 Challengers

View attachment 1338865
Technically, the texture is usually only in the trunk area, not forward of the wheel tub.

Maybe an easy question for you fellas who are rich with the technical knowleadge: Did the Gen 2 Chargers have a teztured surface on the inside of the quarter panels in the trunk? or is this a 'restoration technique' used to mask quarter patching?

Also, unrelated, but is the bumblebee stripe painted or decal?

Thanks Fellas!

Here's the best product to replicate the texture on the insides of the rear quarters ......

If the car came with factory undercoating like mine did, some of the black overspray inevitably landed on the textured surface on the inner quarter. When I first bought it I thought a repaired area was painted over, because everything else was body color. Knew a guy that worked at a local Chrysler dealer in '70 out of high school and he said a lot of times the factory applied undercoating was so thin and random, that they had to put a new car on a lift, mask it off and thoroughly finish it off.

Thank you! Best place to get new Bumble Bee stripe?
Performance Car Graphics or Dale's Cuda Shop would be your best bet for correctness. Both good places to deal with.

Technically, the texture is usually only in the trunk area, not forward of the wheel tub.
This is false information.

I have a 67 gtx with interior out, the inside of the quarters is up to the front within a few inches of the door pillar. And the inside of the doors are done. They keep it away front the edges of the panel because this is sprayed on before the skins are put on the car.

It isn't false information if I have seen it myself. I have in several cars. B bodies and A bodies. I don't know about anything older than a 1967 A body though. I've parted out and cut up numerous cars since 1996.
You have one car. How many others have you seen?

Technically yes it’s false information. You said it doesn’t go the full quarter, just trunk area. That’s BS, I have a car that has it. Never been painted or prettied up. 9-1966 SPD from ST Louis. I don’t have time to pull the interior out of other cars to prove you wrong. I’ve seen plenty of other cars with it also. Because when I work on the quarter windows, that stuff is hard on the hands.

surely different years and plants and employees did it different.

So come on up and we can BBQ some beast and have some cold ones and check it out.

My 69 charger had the asphalt material throughout the quarter panel.
I opted for the spray seam sealer for the look and I used a dynamat material upfront in the 1/4 window area since it wasn’t seen.
But mine had the same asphalt stuff in the window area.

Technically yes it’s false information. You said it doesn’t go the full quarter, just trunk area. That’s BS, I have a car that has it.
I used the word "usually". This rules out anything absolute.
You cannot know what I have seen, you can only read about it and either believe or not.
One car does not prove a trend but several that are built a certain way just might.
Neither '70 Charger that I own have anything forward of the wheel tubs. None of the 4 A body cars that I have here have it either. I've never seen it on any car that I have cut up.
The Chargers were built at the St Louis plant. I'm not sure where the A bodies were built. Different assembly plants often had different procedures.
It is common knowledge to restorers that "factory correct" can vary a lot with these classic cars.

This is false information.

I have a 67 gtx with interior out, the inside of the quarters is up to the front within a few inches of the door pillar. And the inside of the doors are done. They keep it away front the edges of the panel because this is sprayed on before the skins are put on the car.

Here’s the inside door skin on my 68 …..

7D1E206E-877F-4A5B-B4C1-072437E5E9CF.jpeg

This is the inside of my 68 Charger. Not sure if it's orig. or if some po did it.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

If "all original", it would be body color, not gray or black.

Auto Transport Service
Back