• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear shocks - how much ride height is effected?

ncrobb

Local time
3:20 AM
Reaction score
I have a ‘73 RR with stock rear suspension. I was curious to see how much the shocks change the ride height of the body so I measured ground to the same point on both sides with and without the shocks attached to axle mounts. When I took them off the body dropped about 1/2” on both sides. The shocks are some ancient something with a helper coil spring on them. I’m going to replace them but not sure what with. I do not want the ride to drop. I like the look at “stock” height. So a couple questions: Is the 1/2” drop normal, how much would you expect? Would standard replacement shocks push the body back up that 1/2”? Are the Bilsteins really the cat’s meow for a street car? What about the Monroe Load Adjusting Shocks? They look like what’s on it. I would like to firm up the handling. The factory rear sway bar is missing a link on the passenger side and the spring bushings are worn so I’m am going to replace them all at once.

Shocks are motion dampening units. They won't raise or lower the ride height, unless they have springs on them, as your old ones did.

They currently sell shocks with those springs on the outside, but the tension is so low that you can move the springs with your hands when on the car. So they only help when the suspension is loaded.

Sounds like you DO have the Monroe load levelers on the car now. Check for a stamped p/n in the steel tubing near the bottom of the shock. You might find the p/n's match for the Monroe's.

My Charger was sagging a bit in the back. The old shocks were worn out and I wanted to firm up the ride. I used the KYB gas adjust shocks, and due to the gas pressure, they actually raised the car up a tad. There will be haters, but they gave me exactly the controlled ride I wanted. They are rough over tar strips in the pavement, but in my opinion it is worth the tradeoff.

If someone is going to use shocks with springs on them, then why not just use air shocks? At least then you can control exactly where you want the ride height to be. Spring loaded helper shocks or air.....doesn't make any difference except for the fact you have control of ride height and raising the RH 1/2" isn't going to do any damage at all contrary to what most believe.

Good idea to change out the worn bushings and sway bar end link. The KYB’s are a good upgrade over Monroe but the Bilsteins are a great shock. Check out PST for those parts and the shocks as well. PST offers a discount to FBBO members (at least they do on FABO).

My old mostly original GTX was sagging a bit in the rear, needed lower control arm bushings and other maintenance items. The monroe load leveling shocks worked perfectly to get the rear ride height back to stock.
20201216_123554.jpg

Before
20201218_122612.jpg

After
20201230_143007.jpg

About 1/2 to 3/4" rise in the rear put it back to what I remember as stock in the day. With the front LCA's replaced, I adjusted the front ride height to 1/2" lower than the rear for just a little rake. It has the same size tires on all 4 corners.

As said before, shock absorbers only function is to dampen the springs compression and rebound cycles keeping the tire in contact with the road.
The proper way to change the ride height is to use the proper springs. The upper shock mounts were never in tended to carry any type of load.
There are adjustable helper leafs' but they do not look pretty.

As said before, shock absorbers only function is to dampen the springs compression and rebound cycles keeping the tire in contact with the road.
The proper way to change the ride height is to use the proper springs. The upper shock mounts were never in tended to carry any type of load.
There are adjustable helper leafs' but they do not look pretty.
I agree with your assessment of shock function. On the other hand the upper shock mounts will take much more load than you think. I used air shocks in the day on my 67 for tire clearance when drag racing. I had them at max pressure and as you know hard launching from the starting line adds more pressure to those mounts. As I could lift the rear of my GTX easily to correct ride height by lifting on the rear bumper, I feel that the coil over rear shocks add little to no additional stress to the upper shock mounts than a drive down a bumpy road. My opinion, but I have drove and abused these vehicles for 43 years and have never had a upper shock mount failure. I think they are a great upgrade for a little help before replacing springs.

I have a ‘73 RR with stock rear suspension. I was curious to see how much the shocks change the ride height of the body so I measured ground to the same point on both sides with and without the shocks attached to axle mounts. When I took them off the body dropped about 1/2” on both sides. The shocks are some ancient something with a helper coil spring on them. I’m going to replace them but not sure what with. I do not want the ride to drop. I like the look at “stock” height. So a couple questions: Is the 1/2” drop normal, how much would you expect? Would standard replacement shocks push the body back up that 1/2”? Are the Bilsteins really the cat’s meow for a street car? What about the Monroe Load Adjusting Shocks? They look like what’s on it. I would like to firm up the handling. The factory rear sway bar is missing a link on the passenger side and the spring bushings are worn so I’m am going to replace them all at once.
I have a 73 also.I took my springs and had them rearched.Seemed to help slot.Any good spring shop could do it..

Judging from the before and after photos, it looks like you might have gotten that 1/2" raise just by washing the car!

Judging from the before and after photos, it looks like you might have gotten that 1/2" raise just by washing the car!
I haven't washed that car in over 20 years, or should I say put water on it. Yes it got cleaned, but there are other ways other than soap and water.

Auto Transport Service
Back